This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6738 / 50°40'25"N
Longitude: -1.1473 / 1°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 460352
OS Northings: 86365
OS Grid: SZ603863
Mapcode National: GBR 9D7.QRJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 87H9.6VX
Entry Name: Morton Manor Including Detached Garden Wall to South East
Listing Date: 14 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310138
Location: Brading, Isle of Wight, PO36
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Brading
Built-Up Area: Brading
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Brading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6087 OLD MORTON ROAD
1352-0/7/98 Morton Manor inc detached garden
wall to SE
House, formerly manor house. Original part probably dating
from c1540 on earlier foundations, much restored c1890 with T
wing to front of c1680 and 2 early C19 projections at the
rear, one of which is a gun room. Original building is
partially of stone rubble, part brick and part pebbledashed
render on ground floor with tile-hung first floor. Tiled roof
with cruciform brick chimneystack. Gable end with applied
timber-framing. 2 storeys and attics in gable end. Irregular
fenestration with one blocked C16 mullioned. window exposed on
north elevation. 1st floor south-east elevation has 2 early
C20 casements, one 4-light and one 3-light. Ground floor has
one mid C19 sash with 4 panes and one late C19 stone mullioned
window with leaded lights. Gable has 2 C19 mullioned windows.
To east is c1680 wing refronted in C19. Ground floor of yellow
brick, 1st floor tile-hung and with tiled roof with brick
chimneystack. The side facing the road has applied
timber-framing to its gable. Irregular fenestration, mainly
C19 including one pedimented dormer. To the rear left of the
original house is an early C19 extension. Ground floor painted
brick, 1st floor tile-hung with tiled roof. Right-hand side
has 1 triple casement. Left-hand side has ground floor triple
casement and c1840 doorcase with dentilled cornice, brackets
and 4-panelled door on semi-circular stone step. At an angle
is an early C20 Neo-Georgian style round-headed doorcase with
fanlight and 6-panelled door, the top 4 panels glazed. A
section of garden wall leads from the house to the front gate.
This is early C19 in Flemish bond and approximately 7ft high.
Good interiors of 2 periods. The original wing was refurbished
c1890 in the style of Philip Webb. The lounge has a marble
fireplace with C18 Delft tiles and dado panelling which
originally included a settle. The Hall has a late C19 stone
fireplace with the inscription "EAST WEST HOME'S BEST" and
William de Morgan green glazed tiles with floral or ship
motifs. Late C19 panelling in early C17 plank and muntin style
incorporating built-in sideboard with decorative iron hinges.
The 1680 wing has a lounge refurbished c1780. This has a
marquetry floor, cornice with ovolo and grapes and a marble
fireplace with panel of 2 nymphs. reclining against an urn and
pilasters. 2 recessed round-headed cupboards having reeded
surrounds with paterae. 6-panelled door of late. C18 type.
Reeded dado panelling with glyphs and paterac. Staircase hall
has a late C18 staircase with slender balusters and mahogany
handrail with tall balustered supports. Strawberry Hill
Gothick frieze and c1890 dado panelling. 6-panelled door under
reeded architrave with paterae. Stone flag floor. The first
house on the site was built by Thomas de Aula in 1249.
Listing NGR: SZ6035286365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings