This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8956 / 51°53'43"N
Longitude: -0.7059 / 0°42'21"W
OS Eastings: 489145
OS Northings: 222680
OS Grid: SP891226
Mapcode National: GBR D23.2CM
Mapcode Global: VHDTT.QM57
Entry Name: Ascott House
Listing Date: 26 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350833
Location: Wing, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Wing
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wing with Grove
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 SE WING ASCOTT
6/87 Ascott House
Country house. Centre part incorporates remains of timber-framed
house once dated 1606, much extended from 1874 by George Devey,
and later by his associates James Williams, West, Slade and
Trentham, as a picturesque hunting base for Leopold de Rothschild.
Further extensions to W. end, and interior much altered 1937-8.
Ground floor is of red brick with irregular large blue diaper
patterns, and some rubble stone to centre of rear elevation.
Upper floors are of whitewashed render with half-timbering, and
moulded bressumers and bargeboards. Tiled roofs. Brick chimneys:
C17 part has stack partly of thin brick with 3 square shafts set
diagonally; similar shafts with off-set heads to 1930's wing;
other chimneys rectangular with 'V' pilasters. Part 2 storeys, part
2 storeys and attic. Long irregular front to N.W. with projecting
wing to right. Leaded casements with moulded wooden mullions.
Centre has flanking gabled bays with first floor jettied on brackets.
Extensions to left have gabled dormers flanking gabled bay to right,
central square tower with tile-hung upper section and pyramidal
roof, and irregular canted bay and oriel windows. C20 double doors
to centre of range. Matching wing to right has irregular gables and
single storey projections in angle. N.E. end has small entrance
courtyard. S.E. front is irregularly gabled.
Listing NGR: SP8914522680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings