This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4996 / 51°29'58"N
Longitude: -0.1499 / 0°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 528515
OS Northings: 179475
OS Grid: TQ285794
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.JL
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.CK3R
Entry Name: 2-7 Chester Street
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209168
Location: Westminster, London, SW1X
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Knightsbridge and Belgravia
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Peter Eaton Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2879 SE
CHESTER STREET, SW1 (north side)
Nos. 2-7 (consec)
Row of houses, c.1825. Brick, channelled stucco to ground floor (except to Nos. 2 and 3). Slate mansard to Nos. 4, 5 and 6. Other roofs not visible. 4 storeys. No.3 of 5 storeys. Each house 2 windows wide (No.3 of 3 windows). Arched entrances to ground floor (Nos. 2 and 3 square-headed, the former set in single-storey bay to right). Two first floor balconies except to No.3. Square gauged-headed windows, some glazing bars; French windows to first floor to Nos. 4 to 7. Parapets. Iron area railings. Steps to entrance.
Stair well of No. 7 has two wall paintings, of oil and gouache on paper fixed to plaster, extending from ground to first floor: that to lower flight depicting the City of London from the Tower to St Paul's as seen from the south end of Borough High Street; that to upper flight depicting the northern suburbs. The paintings -representing London at the time the Chester Street houses were constructed -are dated 1951 and signed with a monogram of a Greek letter phi and a Roman C, probably that of Philip Connard RA (1875-1958).
Listing NGR: TQ2851579475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings