This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3885 / 50°23'18"N
Longitude: -3.6588 / 3°39'31"W
OS Eastings: 282175
OS Northings: 55606
OS Grid: SX821556
Mapcode National: GBR QP.2TZX
Mapcode Global: FRA 3870.LFR
Entry Name: Priory Gatehouse
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100992
Location: Cornworthy, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Cornworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cornworthy St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
6/82 Priory Gatehouse
Gatehouse of Augustinian priory. Circa 1400 gatehouse of the priory of
Augustinian nuns which was founded here between 1205 and 1238.
Dressed shale rubble with granite dressings. Now roofless but with stone
Plan: The circa 1400 gatehouse is all that survives above ground of the
early C13 priory, although there are distinct remains of walls to the south
east. The outer side of the gatehouse faces west. The main carriageway to
the right and a smaller footway through to the left of the carriageway.
Towards the back on the right hand side there is a stair turret, entered
from inside the main carriageway. There is a garderobe in the right hand
front corner (south west) of the gatehouse. The walls of the chamber above
the archways rise to gables at either side, the upper courses of which have
fallen. There was formerly a lower range on the left (north) side and an
adjoining wall on the right hand side at the front (south west).
Exterior: The west front has a large carriageway to the right with dressed
slate chamfered joists and a moulded granite 4-centred arch on moulder
corbels at the springing. Above the carriageway a small niche with an
unmoulded 3-centred granite head. To left of the west front the footway
has a chamfered shale round arch and a loop above to the right.
The opposite inside east elevation is similar but in reverse and without
the niche and loop, although there is a small loop to the left of the
carriageway. The south side has partly fallen. The doorway at the top of
the turret to the first floor chamber is now exposed to the exterior.
The north sided wall shows signs of the former lower range from which there
is a squint to the footway.
All the exterior walls have putlog holes.
Interior: The carriageway a stone vault with chamfered granite transverse
and longitudinal ribs, like a wagon roof, and a moulded granite wall plate
and fleuron bosses. The footway has a quadripartite vault with granite
ribs and carved bosses. The doorway inside the carriageway to the stair
turret has a moulded granite 2-centred arch with cusped spandrels; and a
stone newel stair. The garderobe to the first floor chamber has a
Scheduled Ancient Monument No. 409
Listing NGR: SX8218055601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings