This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3673 / 53°22'2"N
Longitude: -3.0096 / 3°0'34"W
OS Eastings: 332920
OS Northings: 386074
OS Grid: SJ329860
Mapcode National: GBR 7YFH.7N
Mapcode Global: WH87D.RM2F
Entry Name: Highfield United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 28 March 1974
Last Amended: 10 August 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389310
Location: Wirral, CH42
Electoral Ward/Division: Rock Ferry
Built-Up Area: Birkenhead
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Rock Ferry St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ38NW ROCK LANE WEST, Rock Ferry
789-1/12/250 (South side)
28/03/74 Highfield United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
ROCK LANE WEST
Highfield Road Congregational Church)
United Reform (formerly Congregationalist) church. 1870-71. By
David Walker. Rock faced white Storeton stone with ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Southwest tower and spire,
nave with 2 aisles and shallow transepts. West door with short
paired shafts and flanking windows. 4-light Decorated window
over. Polygonal side chapel to north west. Tower has clasping
buttresses and short paired shafts with foliate capitals and
deep moulded arch to south door. Tall lancets over, then
paired louvred bell chamber lights with gablets forming brooch
of spire. Bases only of angle pinnacles. 3-light Decorated
windows to aisles. 4-light Decorated windows to transepts.
Hall and vestry to east with apsidal east end, suggesting
chancel. Squared mullioned windows to ground floor, 2-light
Decorated windows beneath gablets over. Interior space
modified by inserted suspended ceiling. Arcade of 3 bays with
clustered cast iron shafts with foliate capitals. Eastern arch
behind sanctuary formerly housing organ now partially blocked.
Western gallery. Stained glass windows in (liturgical) north
wall by J.Capronnier of Brussels, dated 1876 and 1889 and
employing a highly pictorial technique. Further window in
Pre-Raphaelite style representing Moses and St.John either
side of Christ: dated 1876 but the central figure replaced
following war damage. Complex series of lecture halls and
vestries to east of church.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Listing NGR: SJ3292086074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings