This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2028 / 53°12'10"N
Longitude: -1.4277 / 1°25'39"W
OS Eastings: 438322
OS Northings: 367454
OS Grid: SK383674
Mapcode National: GBR 69M.CTB
Mapcode Global: WHDFH.1RDJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393548
Location: Wingerworth, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Wingerworth
Built-Up Area: Wingerworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Wingerworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK36NE LONGEDGE LANE
1264-0/6/147 (South side (off))
31/01/67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Early C12, C13, late C14 and late C15. Extended
1963-4 by Naylor, Sale & Widdows. Sandstone ashlar and rubble
with C20 extension of coursed sandstone with concrete
dressings. Roofs of lead and slate.
The pre-C20 church comprises a west tower, nave, lower
chancel, north aisle, south porch, and north-east Hunloke
Mausoleum. A large C20 extension containing a new nave extends
northwards at right angles from the earlier north aisle.
The west tower is of 3 stages with angle buttresses and with a
lead pyramid roof behind embattled parapets with gargoyles.
The bell openings are of 2 lights under pointed arches with
Perpendicular tracery. The west window is of 3 lights under a
Tudor-arched head. To its right is a stair doorway. On the
south side is a sundial dated '1770'. The south nave wall is
of rubble below and of ashlar at clerestorey level above
mullioned window of 3 cusped lights under a flat head. Above
there is a C18 window with plain stone surround, formerly
lighting a gallery. To the east of the porch are 2 mullioned
windows with flat heads, the left-hand one with 3 trefoiled
ogee lights and the right-hand one of 2 trefoiled lights.
Above are 3 clerestorey windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled
lights. To the right of the porch there is a blocked
round-arched doorway. The C19 porch is of ashlar with
embattled parapets. The outer chamfered archway is pointed and
the gable parapet above is curved to follow the line of the
arch. The inner porch doorway has a round arch with an outer
roll-moulded order and with angle shafts which have fluted
capitals. The chancel was extensively restored in the mid C19,
but 3 chamfered lancet windows of c1200 remain in the south
wall. To the right of the left-hand window is a C19 chamfered
pointed doorway. The east window is of 3 lights with chamfered
mullions under a flat head. At the north-east side the Hunloke
Mausoleum is now a vestry and includes a doorway with a lintel
inscribed 'HH 1783'. The C20 extension is lit by long
horizontal windows in the east and west walls, divided by
INTERIOR: the internal walls are whitewashed and the floor
covered by sandstone flags. The tower arch is pointed and
chamfered, with the inner order having corbels as responds.
The outline of a round archway can be seen in the masonry of
the south wall. The 3-bay north arcade has round arches with
an outer square order and inner chamfered order springing from
round piers and semicircular responds, all with simply moulded
capitals. Some traces of wall painting are visible on the west
arch: red scrollwork and blue background painting. The 3
northern clerestorey windows aria visible internally and are
each of 2 cinquefoiled lights. The open boarded timber nave
roof is of very shallow pitch and has exposed rafters,
purlins, and tie beams with king posts. The chancel archway
has a depressed plastered round arch with sandstone reveals
and plain imposts. The soffit of the arch is decorated with
late C12 wall painting with roundels containing the head of
Christ and 4 saints. To the north of the arch is a squint.
Above is a timber rood canopy with embattled top beam and with
carved bosses at the intersections of its ribs. The rood
stairs from the north aisle remain. The inner lintel of the
east chancel window is of oak and has a central carved head of
a 'green man'. The C19 roof has 2 bolted king-post trusses.
A wide and shallow segmental archway opens from the original
north aisle into the C20 nave, which is of 6 bays divided by
The plain cylindrical sandstone font appears to be Norman, but
is re-set on a later base. Set into the floor at the east end
of the chancel is the recumbent effigy of a priest, of c1200.
Set into the chancel window, to the right of the altar, are
some fragments of Flemish glass which are said to be C14.
Listing NGR: SK3832267453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings