History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashover, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1694 / 53°10'9"N

Longitude: -1.4787 / 1°28'43"W

OS Eastings: 434947

OS Northings: 363710

OS Grid: SK349637

Mapcode National: GBR 69Y.BZ7

Mapcode Global: WHDFN.8L3N

Entry Name: Hill Cottage

Listing Date: 30 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291918

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393462

Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Ashover

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ashover

Listing Text

ASHOVER
SK3463 HILL ROAD
1264-0/11/53 (East side)
Hill Cottage
GV II
House, formerly school. Dated 1703, but with earlier work, and
a comprehensive remodelling in the late C19. Coursed squared
gritstone with quoins, ashlar dressings, oversailing eaves and
verges, the eaves with plain bargeboards. End and ridge ashlar
stacks and a Welsh slated roof. South elevation of 2 storeys
and 3 bays, with gablets above first floor window heads to
outer bays. Central doorway with chamfered quoined surround,
and a massive lintel. Above a C19 door is an upper glazed
panel. Flanking windows with plain casements within flush
stone frames. Rectangular single-light window above doorway.
West gable with blocked 3-light late C16 chamfered mullioned
windows with 3-arched heads, and below a bulls-eye window.
Rear wing with ground-floor double doors, and first floor
plain casements. Above the door, a plaque is inscribed:
'George Hodgkinson of Overton Hall and Ann his wife designed
this school. It was finished by William Hodgekinson, his son
and Elizabeth his wife. Anno 1703. Udum et molle intum es nunc
preperondus et acti firgend es. Fine, Fine vota.'


Listing NGR: SK3494763710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.