History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Birley Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brampton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2549 / 53°15'17"N

Longitude: -1.5297 / 1°31'47"W

OS Eastings: 431471

OS Northings: 373200

OS Grid: SK314732

Mapcode National: GBR KZRS.MX

Mapcode Global: WHCD3.GGS2

Entry Name: Birley Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393488

Location: Brampton, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Brampton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Old Brampton Saints Peter and Paul

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Old Brampton

Listing Text

BRAMPTON
SK37SW Birley Grange Farmhouse
1264-0/2/86
31/01/67
(Formerly Listed as:
CUTTHORPE
Birley Grange Farmhouse)
II
Farmhouse. Dated 1689, with C19 alterations and additions;
refurbished in 1977. Coursed squared Coal Measures Sandstone
with ashlar dressings, quoins, coped gables with moulded
kneelers, ridge and gable stone stacks rebuilt in 1977, and a
stone slated roof. End-lobby-entrance plan. South elevation of
2 storeys and 4 bays, with doorway to west end bay with
advanced quoined surround, almost Gibbsian, the remaining part
of the quoin flush with the stonework into which it is bonded.
The massive lintel is similarly fashioned, the upper part
flush with the surrounding walling, but with scrolled bracket
motifs in relief, and below a narrow advanced banded section
with an integral square keyblock surmounted by a ball finial
motif. The keyblock face carries the inscription 'J T S 1689'.
C20 plain plank door. The elevation carries three 2-light
windows, formerly mullioned, now with C20 glazing bar
casements. The openings with advanced heads, the lower edge of
which has a shallow hollow mould. These heads, and that of the
doorway, are linked by a narrow band course. Rear elevation
with central offshut beneath a catslide roof, which
incorporates a circular staircase, the shape of which is
reflected in the eastern side wall. C19 lean-to at west end of
house running at right angles to main range.
INTERIOR: much altered, but with exposed spine beams, a spiral
stone staircase, and a fine parlour hearth, with a moulded and
jowelled surround supporting a pulvinated lintel with a
moulded cornice or shallow mantel shelf above.


Listing NGR: SK3147173200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.