History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wash House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashover, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1523 / 53°9'8"N

Longitude: -1.4703 / 1°28'12"W

OS Eastings: 435522

OS Northings: 361814

OS Grid: SK355618

Mapcode National: GBR 6B5.74B

Mapcode Global: WHDFV.D136

Entry Name: Wash House

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291949

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393414

Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Ashover

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ashover

Listing Text

ASHOVER
MILLTOWN
SK36SE
1264-0/8/78 (East side)
31/01/67 Wash Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
MILLTOWN
Wash House)
GV II
Farmhouse. Dated 1670, with C20 additions and alterations.
Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, quoins, coped
gables with moulded kneelers, ridge and gable ashlar stacks,
and a Welsh slate roof. West elevation of 2 storeys and
attics, 4 bays, with a former doorway against the ridge stack
giving a lobby entrance plan. The doorway, with a massive
lintel and a quoined surround, is now blocked, with inserted
coupled 4 x 3 pane glazing bar sashes standing on a masonry
base. To the north of the former doorway is the present
doorway with C20 door. At the north end, an altered 3-light
chamfered mullioned window. To the south of the earlier
doorway is a single-light C17 window, and, at the west end, a
modern 2-light casement in an earlier surround. The window and
doorway heads are linked by a string course, which steps
upwards over the original doorway. At first floor level are 2
unaltered 3-light chamfered mullioned windows beneath
individual drip moulds, together with a single-light C17
opening and a later 2-light chamfered mullioned window. There
are 2 gabled dormers, with coped gables, moulded kneelers, and
ball finials to the gable apex. These have 3-light chamfered
mullioned windows beneath drip mouldings. The north gabled
dormer apex carries a plaque inscribed 'I M N 1670'. The south
dormer has a C18 firemark. Windows are generally leaded
casements; those to the attics appear to be early. The
remodelling and extension to the rear was carried out in 1988.


Listing NGR: SK3552261813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.