This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5416 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9203 / 1°55'13"W
OS Eastings: 405254
OS Northings: 516265
OS Grid: NZ052162
Mapcode National: GBR HH1X.1Q
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.G3SN
Entry Name: Number 46 and Attached Rear Walls and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388773
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/6/143 (North side)
and attached rear walls and
House, later office and flats, then houses and flat, with rear
outbuildings and walls. Front rebuilt c1860; rear range
probably late C18 (date stone 1799). Irregular courses of
squared stone with ashlar plinth, pecked quoins and dressings.
Roof of stone slates with stone gable copings and stone and
brick chimneys. L-plan with outbuilding against rear wall of
small rear yard.
2 storeys; 3-window range. Central 6-panel door and margined
overlight with flat stone lintel and alternate block jambs.
Plain sash windows with similar lintels and jambs have
projecting stone sills. Roof has gable copings on cyma-moulded
kneelers; end yellow brick chimneys on stone plinths.
Rear shows 2-storey outshut under catslide roof. 2-storey link
at rear under monopitch roof, taller side set against lower
2-storey, 4-window rear wing. Ledged boarded door at left with
tall 2-pane overlight. Blocked door to right of this has flat
stone lintel and inserted window. To right, half-glazed door
in plain stone surround. Next, a blocked door with flat stone
lintel and inserted window; next right, high wall of house
yard breaks forward. Next right, plain stone surround to
blocked door, then flat stone lintel and projecting stone sill
to sash window with glazing bars. At right a blocked door with
lintel inscribed 1799 and initials ?HND partly obscured by
rainwater pipe. On first floor, a small opening above the left
end door, and C20 2-light casements over other doors.
Against yard wall and facing house is an outbuilding, probably
originally earth closet and coal store, of rubble with roof of
stone slates. One storey and one window: pierced ventilation
holes in boarded door, small 4-pane window, and boarded door
in right return; pent roof. High wall with flat stone coping
forms yard and has flat stone lintel over boarded door
adjacent to rear wing.
INTERIOR: front range shows C19 tiled central entrance hall
with half-glazed screen to inner door; 6-panel doors; panelled
reveals to windows; marble chimney piece. Keyed round arch to
Listing NGR: NZ0525416265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings