History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4-6, Barton Street Sw1

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4973 / 51°29'50"N

Longitude: -0.1277 / 0°7'39"W

OS Eastings: 530062

OS Northings: 179260

OS Grid: TQ300792

Mapcode National: GBR HK.HF

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QMVH

Entry Name: 4-6, Barton Street Sw1

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292168

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208594

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Westminster

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 3079 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER BARTON STREET, SW1
101/40
24.2.58 Nos. 4 to 6 (consec. )

G.V. II*

Terraced houses. c.1722 with some early C.20 alteration and extension to
return of No. 6. Brown brick with red brick window dressings, No. 6 with
stuccoed ground floor; tiled roofs. 3 storeys, basements and dormered
mansards. Each front 3 windows wide and No. 6 with 2 window return and
further wing to Cowley Street. Left hand doorways to Nos. 4 and 6, right
hand doorway to No. 5 - that of No. 4 with fluted and panelled pilasters
and pediment; that of No. 5 with plain wooden doorcase and hood; that of
No. 6 with architrave case and pedimented hood on consoles. Recessed
sashes, some with renewed glazing bars, under flat gauged arches; painted
timber lintel across ground floor window heads of Nos. 4 and 5. Brick plat
bands between storeys and below parapet. Wrought iron area railings.
No. 5 has cornet rainwater head and lead down-pipe. The return of No. 6
has blind window bay next to corner and is extended by partly rebuilt
3-window wing of same height with box framed glazing bar sashes under
segmental gauged arches and has broad architrave-framed opening to left of
ground floor with set back panelled door and basement entrance. Set in the
wall by corner is a stone tablet inscribed "Cowley Street, 1722". On the
corner a wrought iron lamp bracket. Part of an exceptionally well
preserved early C.18 enclave of housing together with Cowley and Lord North
Streets q.v.


Listing NGR: TQ3006779266

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.