History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashby Parva, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4927 / 52°29'33"N

Longitude: -1.2263 / 1°13'34"W

OS Eastings: 452628

OS Northings: 288593

OS Grid: SP526885

Mapcode National: GBR 8P2.NST

Mapcode Global: VHCT5.PLKY

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Last Amended: 30 September 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392501

Location: Ashby Parva, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Ashby Parva

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Ashby Parva St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Broughton Astley

Listing Text

ASHBY PARVA
MAIN STREET
SP58NW
1323-0 3/12 (South side)
11/01/55 The Old School
(Formerly Listed as:
School)
II

School, now village hall. Dated 1832. Red brick with flat
wooden eaves soffit to hipped slate roof. Two storeys; four
windows, more widely spaced to left of centre. Segment-headed
surrounds with drip-moulds. Transom and mullion cross
casements, to left of centre with glazing bars, to right with
square lead lattice glazing. Round-arched doorway to right of
centre with blank arch and panelled door. Window above door
replaced by lower rectangular slate inset plaque inscribed
'This School was built and endowed by Sarah Bower, Widow of
the Rev Jas Bower, Rector of St Roche, Cornwall, from a
bequest made for charitable purposes by Lucy Goodacre, widow
of Thomas Goodacre of Leire', (followed by a quotation from 2
Timothy, II, iv). Inset plaque of slate below inscribed 'THE
OLD SCHOOL was given to the people of Ashby Parva to use as
their VILLAGE HALL, 19th February, 1968'. Extension projecting
to right of circa 1968, of one storey with hipped slate roof.


Listing NGR: SP5262888593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.