This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4858 / 52°29'8"N
Longitude: -1.1618 / 1°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 457015
OS Northings: 287868
OS Grid: SP570878
Mapcode National: GBR 8PC.142
Mapcode Global: VHCT6.TS58
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 11 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392528
Location: Gilmorton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Gilmorton
Built-Up Area: Gilmorton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Gilmorton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP5787 CHURCH DRIVE
1323-0 8/39 (West side)
11/01/55 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 and C15 tower, with nave, aisles and
chancel of 1860-61, by William Smith. Porch 1897. Tower
rebuilt in 1909 by C A Bassett-Smith. Granite facings to all
except tower, with Attleborough and Ancaster stone dressings
arranged slightly polychromatically. Random rubble stone tower
with dressed stone octagonal spire. Plain slate roofs,
separately over aisles, nave and chancel. West tower, nave
with north and south aisles and north porch, and chancel with
north lean-to vestry. Unbuttressed two-stage tower with
crenellated parapet to octagonal broach spire with two levels
of wooden lucarnes on the cardinal faces. Weather vane. Clock
face on north side of spire. Taller nave roof, lower aisle and
chancel roofs. Four aisle windows to south and north, all
slightly different and in a vigorous early C14 style. Gabled
north porch (dated 1897) to right with wave-moulded outer arch
on three orders of columns. Simpler south door with double
hollow-chamfered arch. East window of south aisle in form of
three lights surmounted by three quatrefoils, east window of
north aisle of three quatrefoils in roundel. Two-bay chancel
with windows only to south. East window of three lights
surmounted by roundel of four quatrefoils and with flanking
trefoils. Interior: three-bay north and south arcades with
polychromatic double-chamfered arches carried on round piers
with differing capitals in French style C13 style.
Double-chamfered tower arch with inner roll-moulding on
octagonal piers. Fittings: mostly 1860-61, including pews,
wooden pulpit and wrought-iron screen to Smith's design.
Stained glass: east window, 1878, by Burlison and Grylls. Lady
Chapel Ascension, 1896, by Shrigley and Hunt. All the rest by
Kempe, and Kempe and Co, 1884-1906. Smith's stone-carver was
Poole and wood-carver Forsyth.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood
G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 161).
Listing NGR: SP5701587868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings