This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7608 / 53°45'38"N
Longitude: -0.3143 / 0°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 511226
OS Northings: 430699
OS Grid: TA112306
Mapcode National: GBR GTH.98
Mapcode Global: WHHGQ.4QLS
Entry Name: Former Garden Village Club House
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Last Amended: 3 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387549
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU8
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Drypool
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/5/416 ELM AVENUE
12-NOV-73 GARDEN VILLAGE
FORMER GARDEN VILLAGE CLUB HOUSE
(Formerly listed as:
HUMBERSIDE POLICE BOYS CLUB)
(Formerly listed as:
HULL CITY POLICE BOYS CLUB)
Club house. 1909, with late C20 alterations. By Runton & Barry for Albert Leopold Reckitt. Stucco with red brick and ashlar dressings and plain tile roof with 2 coped ridge stacks and a central square domed cupola. Georgian Classical Revival style. Painted plinth, deep modillion eaves. Single storey; 11-window range. T-plan. Windows are late C20 plastic double-glazed lights. Projecting central gable has central semicircular ashlar portico with steps, cornice and 2 Roman Ionic columns, covering a 6-panel double door. Above the door, a memorial tablet to George Reckitt. On either side, a window with moulded surround. Above the portico, a moulded eared panel inscribed "Club House". Each return has a small oval window with 4 keystones. Beyond, on either side, 4 windows with flat arches and keystones. Left gable has a semicircular bay window, 5 lights, with leaded half-dome. Above it, a cartouche with festoons. Right gable has a graduated triple window. Rear has a single-storey mid C20 addition. This building was one of a number of public buildings erected by the Garden Village (Hull) Ltd as part of a development designed by Runton & Barry and commissioned by the Reckitt family.
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 282).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Former Garden Village Club House, built in 1909 by architects Runton and Barry as part of the Hull Garden Village development, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: Built in a Georgian Classical Revival style by architects Runton and Barry, it retains good features such as the square domed cupola to the roof and central semicircular ashlar portico to the entrance with steps, cornice and Roman Ionic columns.
* Historical Association: For its association with the Reckitt family, who were renowned Quaker philanthropists and industrialists. The club house was established by Albert Leopold Reckitt in memory of his father George Reckitt.
* Social Interest: This was one of a number of public buildings erected as part of the Hull Garden Village, an early C20 social housing development, commissioned by Sir James Reckitt for his workforce.
* Group Value: It has group value with the Grade II listed houses which form The Oval and were designed as part of the garden village development.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings