History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Peel Square

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.799 / 53°47'56"N

Longitude: -1.7616 / 1°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 415800

OS Northings: 433655

OS Grid: SE158336

Mapcode National: GBR JHH.8Q

Mapcode Global: WHC98.XSB0

Entry Name: Peel Square

Listing Date: 8 March 1983

Last Amended: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293116

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336817

Location: Bradford, BD8

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Manningham St Paul and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 LUMB LANE BD1
(east side)

No 30
Nos 32 to 60(even)(Peel Square)
SE 1533 34/800 8.3.83 (formerly listed as Nos 30 to
60(even)(Peel Square)
II


2.
Dated 1860, not a square but a shallow half H plan terrace of town houses with a
carriage drive in front. A rear contemporary development to Hallfield Road,
adjacent, Apsley Crescent and the earlier Hanover and Southfield Squares. An
example of more formal urban planning in Bradford at this date. Possibly an
Andrews and Delauney design. The main part of the terrace, behind the drive,
returns on sharp concave curve to the "wings" formed by Nos 30 to 34 and 56 to 60.
Two storeys, sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings, slightly Italianate detailing.
Plinth, plat band, ashlar frieze and eaves cornice. Welsh slate roof, hipped over
"wings". Corniced chimneys. Nos 42 to 48 to centre of main range break forward
slightly with further shallow break containing Nos 44 and 46. Pediment over and
flanking sections of blocking course. Carved wreath in pediment with crown, name
and date. Two bay fronts. Shallow revealed sash windows, the reveals carried
down below sills, to plat band and plinth respectively, with apron effect. The
2 central windows above the paired doorways of Nos 44 and 46 are set in raised
ashlar panels with console brackets to cornices over the entrances, some retaining
doors of 4 moulded panels, the upper ones round headed, have reeded doorheads carried
out over imposts; radial glazed fanlights, archivolt arches with keystones; the
whole contained by flanking strips with consoles rising to broken entablatures and
cornices over. The doorways of Nos 34 and 56 follow the sharp concave curve of the
return to the "wings". The end houses have 3 window symmetrical fronts to road,
the outer window bays breaking forward slightly. Similar design to rest of terrace.


Listing NGR: SE1580033655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.