History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coach House Block and Attached Gateway, 200 Metres South East of Shrubland Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Barham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1287 / 52°7'43"N

Longitude: 1.1078 / 1°6'28"E

OS Eastings: 612818

OS Northings: 252374

OS Grid: TM128523

Mapcode National: GBR TLV.JX3

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.5R0J

Entry Name: Coach House Block and Attached Gateway, 200 Metres South East of Shrubland Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293323

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279223

Location: Barham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Barham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

BARHAM SHRUBLAND ESTATE
TM 15 SW
3/30 Coach-house block and
attached gateway, 200m
south-east of Shrubland
9.12.55
Hall
- II
Coach-house range and gateway, early C19. Formed of 3 ranges around a
courtyard. A pair of pavilions, each of 2 storeys, stand on either side of
the entrance at the open north side. Behind the pavilions are opposing ranges
of coach-houses and workshops. At the rear of the court is a 2-storey range
with grooms' accommodation; a 3-bay set-forward block has a shallow moulded
and stuccoed pediment with a clock in the tympanum. Mainly gault brick
walling; the 2-storey blocks have parapets. Hipped slated roofs. chimneys of
gault brick. Various C19 small-pane sashes and casements, and some late C20
casements. The pavilions have small-pane sashes with moulded and eared
architraves of stucco (several blind windows are part of the design, to
achieve symmetry). Coach-house doorways have segmental heads of gault brick;
pairs of framed and boarded doors; there are a number of fielded panelled
pedestrian doors. To left of entrance is a length of screen wall in gault
brick incorporatinga fine gateway of limestone. Composite pilasters support
a moulded cornice, enriched and bearing the inscription "REGARDEZ MON
DROIGHT'. The gateway is framed by a moulded architrave on the north face and
a pair of rusticated stuccoed piers on the south. The wrought iron gate has
side panels and a crown; above the gate a fan radiates from a lunette bearing
the date 1841.


Listing NGR: TM1281852374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.