This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3025 / 52°18'9"N
Longitude: -0.6947 / 0°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 489102
OS Northings: 267955
OS Grid: SP891679
Mapcode National: GBR CX2.R5P
Mapcode Global: VHDRW.XD37
Entry Name: Priory Cottage
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233751
Location: Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8
Electoral Ward/Division: Swanspool
Built-Up Area: Wellingborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wellingborough
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WELLINGBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
SP8967NW (South side)
11/98 Priory Cottage and No.27
23/09/50 (Formerly listed as No.27 and
Church Hall (Old Grammer
House, now 2 dwellings. Datestone 1608, with C19 additions. Squared coursed
ironstone with C20 plain-tile and slate roofs. 0riginally probably 3-unit plan.
2 storeys with attic. 4-window range with narrow, 3-storey projecting gables to
left and right. 3-light stone mullion windows and one larqe 2-light
stone-mullion window to ground floor centre. C20 doors under wood 1intels to
right of each gable. Ashlar gable parapet and kneelers, central C20 roof dormer
and brick stacks at ridge. C19 one bay extension to left has projecting cross
wing with two C19 two-light stone-mullion windows. Rear elevation to Church
Street of 4-window range with sash, casement and 3-light stone-mullion windows.
6-panelled part-glazed door under wood lintel to left, and C20 door to right.
Stack at eaves rises from irregular gable, with datestone; centre of main front
has partially legible inscribed slate tablet. Interior not inspected but said to
have wooden spiral stair. Originally reputed to be schoolmasters house and
dormitories for adjacent Grammar School, now Church Hall (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP8910267955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings