History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Sun

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1858 / 51°11'9"N

Longitude: -0.6103 / 0°36'37"W

OS Eastings: 497221

OS Northings: 143875

OS Grid: SU972438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.NHD

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.CGQ8

Entry Name: The Sun

Listing Date: 23 February 1970

Last Amended: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291500

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING WHARF STREET
SU 9743 NW
(north-east side)
13/214
No 1 (The Sun) (formerly
23.2.70
listed as Sun Hotel)
GV
II

Inn. Late C18 for Henry Tewsley (J Janaway pers comm), altered late C19. Red
brick in Flemish bond, stuccoed ground floor; plain tile roofs. 3 storeys, 4 x
2 bays with wing to rear right. Plinth, bands between floors, parapet. Ground
floor: left corner has late C19 bowed pub window with plinth,pilasters, panelled
aprons to windows, plain frieze and dentilled cornice. To right of this is step
up to door of 6 flush panels (top 4 glazed) in doorcase with pilasters and
elaborately-decorated brackets supporting corniced hood. Two sash windows to
right, left one retaining upper sash with glazing bars. Sashes with glazing
bars to 1st floor, 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor, all having flat brick arches and
projecting stone sills; inn sign hung between two left-hand, 1st-floor windows.
Flat stone coping to parapet which conceals hipped roof with 2 stacks to rear.
Left return similar with ground-floor cornice. Rear: 3 hipped gables. Wing is
of several builds with tile-hung gable and on inner return 3-light, small-pane
casements retained on 1st floor. Right return: plaque on wing wall inscribed
"W SMEEDS WALL 1848".


Listing NGR: SU9720743846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.