This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0958 / 52°5'45"N
Longitude: -0.8844 / 0°53'3"W
OS Eastings: 476518
OS Northings: 244752
OS Grid: SP765447
Mapcode National: GBR BY0.K6J
Mapcode Global: VHDSR.ML96
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 18 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235390
Location: Yardley Gobion, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Yardley Gobion
Built-Up Area: Yardley Gobion
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Potterspury with Furtho and Yardley Gobion
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
YARDLEY GOBION HIGH STREET
SP7643 (South side)
14/154 Church of St. Leonard
Church. Built 1864 by E.F. Law at the expense of the 6th Duke of Grafton.
Coursed squared rock-faced limestone, limestone dressings and slate roofs.
Chancel, vestry, nave and north porch. Geometrical and Decorated styles. Chancel
has 3-light east window with Geometrical-style tracery and hood mould and a
one-light window to north and south with trefoil to head. Priest's door to north
with continuous hollow chamfer and pointed trefoil head innermost, shafts with
foliage capitals and pointed arch outermost and hood mould. Small vestry to
south with cat-slide roof and 2-light window to south with rectangular chamfered
stone surround. 3-bay nave has 2-light Decorated-style windows to north and
south and 3-light window to west end with Geometrical-style tracery and hood
mould. North door has shafts with foliage capitals in porch with similar doorway
and small 4-light windows to east and west sides. Bell-cote to east gable of
nave. Diagonal offset buttresses to chancel, off-set buttresses to west end of
nave and between bays. Chamfered plinth, overhanging eaves and stone-coped
gables with kneelers. Interior: windows have alternate red and blue bricks to
heads. Elaborate carved foliage corbels to chancel arch and converted
wall-mounted oil lamps to nave. Oak reredos of 1904. Stain glass window of 1865
to memory of Lady Charles Fitzroy, stain-glass east window of 1903 of Munich
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; Kelly's Directory for
Listing NGR: SP7651844752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings