History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Mill Wheelhouse Block on River Edge

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0062 / 54°0'22"N

Longitude: -1.4712 / 1°28'16"W

OS Eastings: 434756

OS Northings: 456820

OS Grid: SE347568

Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.9M

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CKPL

Entry Name: Castle Mill Wheelhouse Block on River Edge

Listing Date: 25 March 1983

Last Amended: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330879

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH WATERSIDE
(south side)
8/209 Castle Mill: wheelhouse
block on river edge
25.3.83 (formerly listed as Block D
under Castle Mills
(consisting of blocks A to E)

GV II

Mill building. Late C18 for John Lomas. Ground floor of coursed squared
gritstone, red brick above, with Westmorland slate roof. 3 storeys over
wheel race, 7 x 3 bays. North facade: ground floor: boarded small-pane
sashes in flush wood architraves with stone lintels and projecting stone
sills. First and second floors: 25-pane unequally-hung sashes under
cambered brick arches. Blocked central opening at second floor. Stone
bands at first- and second-floor levels. Similar windows remain in other
parts of the building. Hipped roof, no chimneys. Interior: mill race and
turbine machinery survives, in poor condition. Ground and upper floors
contain original timber work and pulleys and straps remaining from the power
system. The interior is in a dangerous condition. Brick outbuildings
attached to south-west end include the engine house and stack erected when a
steam engine was installed in 1847. A water wheel was erected on this site
in 1764 to pump water up the side of the gorge and into the town. A new
water wheel was constructed in 1790-91 for John and Charles Lomas when plans
were being made to build a cotton mill on the site. B Jennings, Harrogate
and Knaresborough, 1970.


Listing NGR: SE3475656820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.