History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9011 / 52°54'4"N

Longitude: -1.8666 / 1°51'59"W

OS Eastings: 409070

OS Northings: 333749

OS Grid: SK090337

Mapcode National: GBR 38R.2X2

Mapcode Global: WHCFP.9BDS

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272929

Location: Uttoxeter, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST14

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Uttoxeter

Built-Up Area: Uttoxeter

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Uttoxeter St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Uttoxeter

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1756
(West Side)
The Manor House
SK 0933 1/34 24.10.50.
II*
2.
(Also known as "Uttoxeter House" or sometimes as "Lord Gardner's House")
A large mansion with much C19 alteration and addition. The core of the house
is of C16 date or possibly earlier, but nothing remains except the base of
a large central stone chimney stack, now surmounted by later chimneys. The
front is largely mid C18, of 2 storeys, with 2 windows flanking a 3-window
bay through all storeys in centre. Red brick with stone dressings, the modern
alterations include the shaping of the parapet and the addition of stone
balls at the angles. 2 ground floor bay windows, and conservatory (now used
as a garage) also added at side. Stone porch, also modern. Interior is
largely decorated in "period" style, but retains the original C17 staircase
with added modern finials. A "priest's hole" remains close to the central
chimney stack, with an exit through the walls, the entrance being in the
attic. "Admiral Gardner's Room" retains good original early C18 panelling.
Over each door is a projecting carved and gilded griffin. The contemporary
chimneypiece also has gilded carved ornament. Birthplace of the Admiral
in 1742. Another good oak panelled room, with contemporary mantelpiece.
Plaque: (on front garden wall) "Alan Gardner 1742-1809, Admiral, was born
here".


Listing NGR: SK0907033749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.