History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cemetery Chapels

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1928 / 51°11'34"N

Longitude: -0.611 / 0°36'39"W

OS Eastings: 497160

OS Northings: 144650

OS Grid: SU971446

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.2CT

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.C8CX

Entry Name: Cemetery Chapels

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293615

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291469

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING NIGHTINGALE ROAD
SU 9744 NW
(west side, off)
8/185
Cemetery Chapels
GV
II

Cemetery chapels. 1857 (VCH p28), altered. Bargate rubblestone with ashlar
dressings; plain tile roofs. U-shaped plan having 3-bay central range with
chapels forming cross-wings. In Decorated style. Chamfered plinth. Central
range: central gabled bay has walling rendered above plinth; full-width wood-
framed window of 5 cusped lights, all but 2nd and 4th lights blind; in gable,
arch-braced king-post set on head corbel; barge boards. Flanking bays have
archway on inner side with decorative cast-iron gate and cusped opening beyond;
each archway leads into internal porch having tiled floor and to each of the 3
sides a board door with decorative iron hinges (double doors to chapels).
Chapels: each has offset diagonal buttresses, ovolo-sectioned sill band, a
3-light Decorated window with leafy stops to hoodmould, shaped kneelers, ashlar
coping and decorative ridge tiles; a 1-light window to inner return; a 3-bay
outer return with buttresses and a 2-light window flanked by 1-light windows.
Rear: a 3-light window to each chapel. Central range has a central board door
with offset stack rising above it, and flanking 2-light windows.
V.C.H, Surrey, Vol III (1911)


Listing NGR: SU9715944650

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.