This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5638 / 51°33'49"N
Longitude: -0.0151 / 0°0'54"W
OS Eastings: 537681
OS Northings: 186857
OS Grid: TQ376868
Mapcode National: GBR KW.0W6
Mapcode Global: VHGQN.PYDL
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 27 May 1954
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206861
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E10
District: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Leyton
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Leyton St Mary with St Edward and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 38 NE CHURCH ROAD
Parish Church of St Mary the
27.5.54 Virgin (Formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
Parish church. Mainly rebuilt C19 with further alterations 1932; tower and
probably part of north aisle wall understood to date from 1658. West end of
chancel 1693; south aisle and vestry 1822, to design of John Shaw; bapistry 1884;
east end altered and enlarged 1932. Brick tower and aisles; stucco clerestory;
pantiled pitched roof. Mainly Gothic revival manner. 4 bay aisled nave, 2 storey
south porch, lower chancel. Square western tower of 3 stages with corner butt-
resses and domed C18 clock turret. Cuspless geometrical tracery to aisle windows;
clerestory with square-headed mullioned windows, each with 3 arched lights. Arcade
with octagonal piers and round-headed arches, and pointed chancel-arch understood
to date from 1932. Roof trusses mainly encased. Some Victorian stained glass.
Various monuments mainly C17 and C18, including elaborate monuments to the Hicks
family beneath the tower and monuments to William Bosanquet (1813) by John Flaxman,
on west wall of north aisle, etc. NPevsner ESSEX. RCHM, VCH.
Listing NGR: TQ3768186857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings