This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8892 / 52°53'21"N
Longitude: -2.5146 / 2°30'52"W
OS Eastings: 365475
OS Northings: 332538
OS Grid: SJ654325
Mapcode National: GBR 7T.Q1Q2
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.BMTY
Entry Name: Buntingsdale Hall
Listing Date: 14 February 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260295
Location: Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Sutton upon Tern
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Little Drayton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. TAYLEUR DRIVE (south side)
SJ 63 SE
Country house. Dated 1721 (downpipe straps), for Bulkeley Mackworth.
Possibly by John Prince, but probably completed under the supervision of
Francis Smith of Warwick. Extended and altered in 1857 by Smith of Shrewsbury.
Red brick with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Roof not visible. 6 brick
stacks with stone cornices. 9 x 5 bays with addition to north. 1857 work
in an early C18 style. 2 storeys and attic over basement. East (entrance
front: 1:2:3:2:1 bays articulated by a Giant Corinthian order. Fluted
pilasters (except for second and fifth which are plain) supporting a section
of frieze and architrave and full cornice, breaking forward over each but
interrupted to centre 3 bays. Panelled dies to attic with moulded cornice,
small triangular pediments over end bays, central 3-bay open triangular pediment,
broken back with carved stone cartouche in tympanum, and balustraded parapet
with panelled dies. Glazing bar sashes with moulded stone cills and gauged
segmental heads with raised triple keystone. Attic windows with flat arches.
Basement oculi in end bays with moulded architraves and triple keystones.
Some basement windows are blind and painted in imitation of sashes. Pair
of central doors with 3 raised and fielded panels, wooden tympanum above
with 4 raised and fielded panels, and segmental-headed moulded architrave
with raised triple keystone. Corinthian stone doorcase consisting of pilasters,
each supporting a section of entablature, and a broken and open segmental
pediment. Left-hand return front: 2:3:2 bays with central full-height bow.
Central ground-floor window with moulded architrave and raised keystone.
Late C20 inserted doorway and steps in second bay from left. Square-section
load downpipes flanking bow; rainwater heads with Mackworth arms and crest,
acanthus ornament at junction of pipes and cornice, and straps with the initials
"BM", the date "1721", and other ornament, including paterae,etc. West
(garden) front: 3:3:3 bays divided by pilasters. Central break has 3-bay
triangular pediment, broken back with oval panel in tympanum. Pair of
central C20 glazed doors with 6-pane overlight and segmental-headed moulded
architrave with raised triple keystone. Ionic stone doorcase with pilasters
supporting sections of entablature and open segmental pediment. North wing:
1857. Two storeys over basement. Identical east and west fronts. 1:3:1
bays. Recessed end bays, northern bay with attic. Interior: remodelled in
1857 when the full-height entrance hall was created and the staircase moved
to its present position. Entrance hall: black and white stone flooring.
Tall bolection-moulded panelling up to first floor level with cornice and
raised and fielded panelling above to cornice and coving. Central doorway
at rear with segmental pediment above on carved brackets. First-floor gallery
above with turned balusters, raised to centre. Central first-floor doorway
with doorcase consisting of fluted pilasters and open triangular pediment.
Stone fireplace with free-standing cable-fluted Ionic columns and rusticated
surround with keystone. Central ground-floor rear room: doorway with moulded
architrave and segmental pediment. Fireplace removed. Staircase hall:
2 ground-floor round archways with marble piers and moulded arches with
panelled soffits and keystones. Doorway with pulvinated frieze and triangular
pediment. Probably reset early C18 fireplace with bolection-moulded
surround. Cornice with egg and dart enrichment. Re-ordered c.1721 staircase
consisting of 3 flights around square well with landings; open string with
carved brackets, 3 fluted balusters per tread, moulded ramped handrail, and
panelled dado. Landing balustrade. 2 x 3 round archways at head of stairs
with square piers, and moulded arches with panelled soffits and keystones.
4 doorways with moulded architraves and triangular pediments (some removed
at time of survey - April 1985). Rich cornice. 2 principal rooms in 1857
wing, including the dining room: rich cornice with vine trail and egg and
dart enrichment. Fireplace removed. Ballroom: rich plaster panelling.
Rich cornice with dentils, egg and dart enrichment, mutules and paterae
Central ceiling rose. 8-panelled doors with segmental-pedimented overmantels
on brackets. Windows with pelmets. Small anteroom with tall raised and
fielded and bolection-moulded panels, and cornice with egg and dart enrichment.
Late C18 or early C19 back staircase with circular well, consisting of open
string with brackets; turned balusters and moulded handrail. Basement:
brick-vaulted cellars. Possibly reset early C18 fireplace consisting of
depressed-arched surround with fluted key to lintel. Reused C17 panelling.
C19 kitchen with cast-iron columns. C18 stair. Documents concerning Buntings-
dale have recently come to light (Spring 1986) which suggest that John Prince
supervised some work at Buntingdale. It has been suggested that Mackworth
argued with Prince, dismissed him, and appointed Francis Smith to complete
the work (information kindly supplied by Mr Andor Gomme). Avray Tipping
refers to a document, since lost, recording the supply to Smith of "a pad
nag to ride hither from Warwick". The house stood in Parkland (now broken
up) with a lake to the west. At the time of survey (April 1986) many of
the fixtures and fittings had been dismantled or stolen. The panelled
business room and bedroom illustrated in the Country Life article were not
noted at the time of survey. M. Avray Tipping, Country Life (1917), pp.
420-28; B.O.E., pp. 90-1. Colvin, pp. 661-2; Kerry Downes, English Baroque
Architecture, pp 95-61; Ed. P. Reid, Burkes and Savills Guide to Country
Houses. Vol II. Hereford, Shropshire, Warwicks and Worcester, p. 81;
Marcus Binney, Our Vanishing Heritage, pp. 27-31; Shropshire Records Office.
Listing NGR: SJ6547532538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings