History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.01 / 54°0'35"N

Longitude: -1.4694 / 1°28'9"W

OS Eastings: 434872

OS Northings: 457238

OS Grid: SE348572

Mapcode National: GBR LQ52.P8

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.DGJQ

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 15 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330812

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH HIGH STREET
(north side)

6/143 No 102 (The Old School
House)
15.5.68
GV II

School house, now house. Mid C18 with C20 restoration. Rendered, pantile
roof with 3 eaves cornices of stone slates. 2 storeys, 3 first-floor
windows. 6-panel door to right of centre, with fanlight, panelled reveals
and wooden doorcase, (erected since 1968). Large stone tablet above. To
right, sash with glazing bars in flush wood architrave with 9-pane unequally
hung sash above. To left, two 3-light side-sliding sashes with 24 panes,
with two 2-light side-sliding sashes with glazing bars above. Ashlar gable
coping and end stack of brick to left. The tablet above the door carries an
inscription listing the donors and date of the school. Thomas Richardson
gave this burgage house and £400 in trust to found an elementary school in
1765. It was know as Richardson's or the Charity School. By 1826 the
donations had totalled £2,139 and 30 children were admitted. E Hargrove,
History of the Castle, Town and Forest of Knaresborough, 6th Edition, 1809,
p80. B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, p379.


Listing NGR: SE3487257238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.