History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Theatre

A Grade II Listed Building in Northallerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3387 / 54°20'19"N

Longitude: -1.4353 / 1°26'7"W

OS Eastings: 436812

OS Northings: 493830

OS Grid: SE368938

Mapcode National: GBR LLF8.1G

Mapcode Global: WHD81.X6PQ

Entry Name: Old Theatre

Listing Date: 15 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332834

Location: Northallerton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Northallerton

Built-Up Area: Northallerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Northallerton

Listing Text

NORTHALLERTON HIGH STREET
SE 3693-3793
(west side, off)
7/40 Old Theatre
GV II
Theatre, now health spa. c1800 with later alterations. For Butler, Jefferson and
Co. Orange-red-brown brick in English garden wall bond, pantile roof. 2 storeys,
formerly with a cellar; 4 internal bays. West side: two first-floor 24-pane fixed-
light windows with inserted doorway on right and 2 inserted C20 windows on each
floor to left. Dentil eaves. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping. Later additions
mask much of the east side, which was probably the front, with access from the High
Street. Northallerton was on the same provincial theatre circuit as Richmond, where
the theatre Royal, built by Samuel Butler in 1788, has almost identical dimensions.
The Northallerton theatre almost certainly had the same internal arrangements, of
the stage occupying almost half the volume, and the auditorium having pit, boxes
and gallery, all served by a single entrance with pay-box. The theatre was
discontinued in 1832, and was re-opened as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1834.
This continued until a new chapel, off the east side of the High Street, opened
in 1889.
Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 143, XV; VCH i,
p 420.


Listing NGR: SE3681293830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.