History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Row of 4 Headstones from Approximately 5 to 8 Metres North of North Transept of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2928 / 51°17'34"N

Longitude: -0.3269 / 0°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 516758

OS Northings: 156182

OS Grid: TQ167561

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.68P

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.9R1S

Entry Name: Row of 4 Headstones from Approximately 5 to 8 Metres North of North Transept of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293766

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290511

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 1656 SE (south side)
Row of 4 headstones from approx.
5 to 8 metres north of north
transept of Church of St Mary
and St Nicholas


Row of 4 headstones on north-south axis. Late C17 to mid C18. Commemorating
(from south to north) as follows:

(1) W. Wood, infant son of W.Wood (d.1697): very small, with carved swan-neck
top and crossed bones; inscription in seriffed capitals;

(2) Johanna Wood, wife of William Wood, (d. 1699): shaped top carved with
skull-and-crossbones; inscription in seriffed capitals;

(3) Hanna Wood and her baby (d. 1710): shaped top, carving with hourglass and
skull-and-crossbones; inscription recording that she died in childbed;

(4) William Hall (d. 1751): scrolled top, carving with hourglass, urn, etc.

(At the time of the survey in 1988 the latter two were under a stout yew bush.)

Listing NGR: TQ1675856182

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.