This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1 / 54°5'59"N
Longitude: -1.3947 / 1°23'40"W
OS Eastings: 439681
OS Northings: 467288
OS Grid: SE396672
Mapcode National: GBR LPP1.V1
Mapcode Global: WHD97.K62Q
Entry Name: Station House
Listing Date: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331278
Location: Milby, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO51
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Milby
Built-Up Area: Boroughbridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 36 NE MILBY DISHFORTH ROAD
(east side, off)
3/39 Station House
Station master's house and station buildings. 1847. Probably by
G T Andrews. Brown brick, Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate
roof. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys, 3 x l bays with single-storey 3½-bay wing
to rear right having entrance to house at 2-storeyed east end.
and station buildings, now truncated at west end. Main (east) facade
(house): chamfered quoins, sashes with glazing bars in stone architraves
with moulded sills to both floors; those to ground floor slightly eared.
First-floor sill band, deep moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof with central
corniced ridge stack and another to rear right eaves. Right return
(platform front): house: 1 bay as front but with ground-floor bow window with
16-pane sash; single-storey range has bays defined by pilaster strips
supporting entablature with stone cornice and blocking course with sash with
glazing bars on left and a blocked door. Left return: house has 1 bay as
front; single-storey range: as platform front with 4-panel door in stone
surround. The line from Pilmoor (to the north-east) to Boroughbridge was
opened in 1847, and was extended to join the York-Harrogate line in 1875.
The new line branched to the east of the old station in order to avoid the
difficult bridges over the Dishforth and Catterick road and a new passenger
station was built. The old station buildings were converted to cottages and
the goods line continued until 1964. The platform cottages were attached to
the west of the surviving structure and photographs were taken before
demolition (Hoole, p56). The house is identical to the (demolished) station
masters house at Market Weighton, by G T Andrews c1847 (Hatcher, pp 109,
112). J Hatcher, The Industrial Architecture of North Yorkshire 1985.
K Hoole, Railways in Yorkshire 1977.
Listing NGR: SE3968167288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings