History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

37, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0086 / 54°0'30"N

Longitude: -1.4673 / 1°28'2"W

OS Eastings: 435007

OS Northings: 457080

OS Grid: SE350570

Mapcode National: GBR LQ62.3S

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.FHHT

Entry Name: 37, High Street

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293840

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330784

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3557 KNARESBOROUGH HIGH STREET
(south side)

7/115 No 37

GV II

Bradford Old Bank, now Barclays Bank with offices over. 1881. Brick with
stone and terracotta details. Corner site in Classical Jacobean Style, of 3
storeys with attic; 1 bay towards Market Place and 2 bays towards High
street. Corner bay: glazed C20 double-doors with overlight in massive stone
surround with consoles and dentilled segmental pediment; above are 2 tiers of
cross-windows with sashes below and 9-panes above transom. To left (Market
Place): 2 stone 3-light mullion and transom window with lower mullions
removed; similar wood-framed window above, to left of stone plaque with
classical-style frieze and cartouche with words 'Bradford Old Bank'.
Chimney stack above. Right (High Street): two 4-light mullion and transom
windows to ground floor, lower mullions removed. Bay windows above with
plaques to apron. Mullion and transom window to second floor, 3-light
mullion window in elaborately gabled attic to top storey. Stack to right.
Elaborate terra-cotta mouldings to gable copings, and wrought iron weather
vanes. Interior: fine original staircase, not seen at resurvey. The bank
was founded in 1785 and the building became a branch of Barclays Bank in
1916.


Listing NGR: SE3500757080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.