This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9854 / 53°59'7"N
Longitude: -1.5346 / 1°32'4"W
OS Eastings: 430618
OS Northings: 454467
OS Grid: SE306544
Mapcode National: GBR KQQC.K3
Mapcode Global: WHC8M.D3H2
Entry Name: Tewit Well
Listing Date: 18 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329968
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Stray
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harrogate St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
TEWIT WELL ROAD
5338 Tewit Well
SE 3054 27/35 18.7.49.
The Tewit Well was the earliest of the Harrogate chalybeate springs: discovered by Mr William
Slingsby in 1571, it was described by Edmund Deane in "Spadacrene Anglica" in 1626.
The original well-cover was replaced by the present pavilion (circa 1807-8)
which was transferred from the site of the Old Sulphur Well in circa
1842 when the Royal Pump Room was erected. Circular pavilion with modern fibreglass
dome resting on a stone colonnade. Tuscan Order of 12 columns, the bases of
6 columns stand on the plinth, the other 6 are shortened to rest on a pedestal.
The former wall infill with doors and windows of circa 1842 has recently been
removed. A modern concrete cover seals the top of the old well.
Listing NGR: SE3061854468
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings