History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

How Hill Tower and Outbuildings, Also Called the Chapel of Saint Michael De Monte

A Grade II* Listed Building in Markington with Wallerthwaite, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0986 / 54°5'55"N

Longitude: -1.5794 / 1°34'45"W

OS Eastings: 427600

OS Northings: 467052

OS Grid: SE276670

Mapcode National: GBR KPD1.VH

Mapcode Global: WHC80.Q72R

Entry Name: How Hill Tower and Outbuildings, Also Called the Chapel of Saint Michael De Monte

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330987

Location: Markington with Wallerthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH HOW HILL ROAD
WALLERTHWAITE (west side)

5/66 How Hill Tower and
outbuildings, also called
the Chapel of Saint
Michael de Monte

- II*

Former chapel, now outbuilding, with attached outbuildings, all disused.
1718 incorporating medieval and early C16 remains, outbuildings of later
C18. Tower for John Aislabie of Studley Royal. Coursed squared gritstone
and limestone, Westmorland slate roof; outbuildings of coursed rubble with
gritstone quoins, surviving roofs on north side of stone slates. Square 2-
storey tower with projecting stair bay on west side, with extensive remains
of outbuildings against the north and east (downhill) sides. The ruined
group is composed of a substantial 3-storey block with lean to additions
(east) and a 2-storey and single-storey block which may have served as a
stable (north). Tower: south face - round-arched doorway with imposts and
keystone, now blocked in lower half, under stone plaque with 4 quatrefoils
containing shields in relief. First-floor band, returned, with relief
carving: 'SOL DEO HONOR MH ET GLORIA'. Hollow-chamfered, round-arched
window above, tracery missing. Projecting modillioned eaves band. Stone
pyramidal roof clad in slates and surmounted by a 3-dimensional cross. Rear
(north side): round-arched window in stone architrave to ground-floor,
round-arched window with 2 pointed light to first floor. Left return:
attached bay containing stone staircase has rectangular window on west side,
kneelers with gable coping and arched bell-cote-like finial. Right return:
ground floor obscured by remain of C18 buildings. First floor has blocked
round-arched window with 2 pointed lights. Interior: flooring has collapsed
but fireplaces survive in the tower to ground-floor east side, and in the
north-east corner on the first floor, with cast-iron basket grate in situ.
The projecting bay contains a substantial stone staircase built against the
south, west and north walls, and giving access to the upper floor of the
tower. The site is a scheduled ancient monument. The hill with the village
of Erlesholt (now deserted) was given by Robert de Sartis to Fountains Abbey
and the chapel was erected c1200. It was repaired or rebuilt between 1494
and 1526 by Abbot Marmaduke Huby who built the tower at Fountains. After
the Dissolution it was neglected until John Aislabie rebuilt the tower. The
building may have been used as a folly or gaming house, as repairs were done
to windows and furniture including gaming tables in 1737-38. The
outbuildings are thought to have been added in the later C18 but when
complete they must have given the appearance of a nave attached to the
tower. Their siting on the downhill side of the tower rather than more
conveniently on the flat hill top suggests that they may be part of John
Aislabie's scheme and only later used as farm outbuildings. M Sykes, The
Chapel of Saint Michael de Monte, c1984, single sheet.


Listing NGR: SE2760067052

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.