History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michaels Cottages and Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Well, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2332 / 54°13'59"N

Longitude: -1.5903 / 1°35'25"W

OS Eastings: 426801

OS Northings: 482017

OS Grid: SE268820

Mapcode National: GBR KMBH.H9

Mapcode Global: WHC77.JVXN

Entry Name: St Michaels Cottages and Chapel

Listing Date: 5 May 1952

Last Amended: 30 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332672

Location: Well, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Well

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Well

Listing Text

WELL CHURCH STREET
SE 28 SE
(north side)
5/41 St Michaels Cottages and
Chapel (formerly listed as
Saint Michaels Hospital
5.5.52 Almshouses)

GV II

4 almshouses and chapel. 1758. Coursed squared stone, ashlar dressings,
Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 12 bays with 2-bay chapel to left. Each
almshouse of 3 bays with symmetrical facade, a central board door in
surround with chamfered jambs, all windows 2-light with ovolo moulded
mullions and plain stone surrounds. To each side of central 2 bays on the
first floor are coat of arms, of the Nevill and Cecill of Burghley,
families. Water pump attached to centre, with datestone above. Chapel has
central moulded pointed-arched doorway with moulded imposts and board door.
It is flanked by 2-light mullion windows with round heads to each light.
Stone coping to either ends. 4 ridge stacks and end stack to right.
History: the mullions, the chapel doorway and the chapel windows are of
reused medieval and C16 stone. The Hospital Almshouses founded in 1342 were
in Well Hall before 1758. VCH Vol I p357-361.


Listing NGR: SE2680282022

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.