History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wilbarston, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4872 / 52°29'13"N

Longitude: -0.8056 / 0°48'20"W

OS Eastings: 481199

OS Northings: 288364

OS Grid: SP811883

Mapcode National: GBR CTT.14N

Mapcode Global: VHDQV.ZRG6

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 230940

Location: Wilbarston, Kettering, Northamptonshire, LE16

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Wilbarston

Built-Up Area: Wilbarston

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Wilbarston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wilbarston

Listing Text

WILBARSTON CHURCH STREET
SP8188 (West side)
8/82 Church of All Saints
25/02/57
GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C14, restored C19. Regular coursed, squared coursed and
ashlar limestone and ironstone with stone slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel,
west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of C14
two- and 3-light windows. C12 south door opening, now blocked, has single
chamfered semi-circular arch. Central, 3-stage, ashlar buttress. Shallow gabled
roof with ashlar parapets and finial. 3-light east window has reticulated
tracery, renewed C19. North elevation of chancel is blank with north chapel
projecting over one bay. South aisle of 3-window range; from left to right:
3-light Decorated window with intersecting tracery, C19 two-light window and
3-light Decorated window with roundel now filled with C19 trefoils. Lean-to roof
with ashlar parapets. 2-light square-head west window. C19 limestone ashlar
south porch with moulded outer arch, gabled buttresses, gable parapets, niche
and finial. Decorated inner door opening has cusped arch with one order of
shafts. North aisle of 3-window range of 3-light square-head windows with
renewed tracery. C19 north door to left with C19 gabled buttress to
right.Shallow central C14 buttress. Lean-to roof with moulded cornice and ashlar
gable parapets. C19 three-light east window and 2-light west window. Nave
clerestory of 4-window range to south and 2-window range to north with 2-light
square-head windows with renewed tracery. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable
parapets and bellcote at apex. West tower of 3 stages with sub-division to lower
stage. Limestone and ironstone ashlar buttresses to corners and centre of west
face of first stage. Single lancets to north and south faces. 2-light
bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage have central columns and C12
semi-circular arches with nailhead decoration to south and east faces. Corbel
table with C14 broach spire having 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave
arcade with one C12 round-head arch to south east which may have given access to
a transept in the C12 church. Remainder of south arcade is C13 pointed arches
with one chamfer and one hollow, supported on circular piers. The pier to the
east has been modified with 2 additional renewed shafts to carry the C12 arch.
North arcade has 2 C12 responds to east and west, probably reset, remainder is
early C14 pointed arches with sunk quadrant mouldings and circular piers. Double
chamfered and bracketed chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. 2 bay
arcade of double chamfered arches to north chapel, now vestry, have octagonal
pier and responds. C19 painted roof structures, throughout, probably date from
restoration of 1884. Trefoil head piscina and double sedilia to south wall of
chancel. C14 ogee-head reredos with cusping to east wall of south aisle has
piscina to right and Decorated window alongside with ribbed shafts. Ogee-head
niches flanking north chapel window. Shallow font on short column. Monuments:
north aisle, marble plaque to William Munton died 1832 has cherubs head and
draped urn. C19 stained glass east windows and aid C20 stained glass south aisle
window.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p.462).


Listing NGR: SP8119988364

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.