History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burneston, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2594 / 54°15'33"N

Longitude: -1.5287 / 1°31'43"W

OS Eastings: 430801

OS Northings: 484960

OS Grid: SE308849

Mapcode National: GBR KMR5.VW

Mapcode Global: WHC78.H69J

Entry Name: The Almshouses

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Last Amended: 30 August 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293993

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332641

Location: Burneston, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Burneston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Carthorpe

Listing Text

BURNESTON MAIN STREET
SE 38 SW
(west side)
6/10 The Almshouses
(formerly listed as Nos 1
22.8.66 and 2 Burneston Almshouses)

GV II

Almshouses, now 2 cottages and a schoolroom. Dated 1680. Coursed
rubblestone, red brick with ashlar dressings and a Welsh slate roof. 2
storeys, 7 bays. Rubblestone plinth with chamfered ashlar coping up ground-
floor window height, ashlar quoins. To bay 2 and bay 5 are board doors in
quoined surrounds with four-centred arched lintels. Above each is an ashlar
tablet in moulded surround, that to left bears Latin inscription and date
1680, that to right bears coat of arms. Above both is an elliptical window
in square stone surround. Other bays have 2-light rendered brick mullion
windows with a variety of casements. To ground floor, outer and central
windows have moulded brick segmental pediments, the other windows have
triangular brick pediments. To right of bay 7 a stone sundial with
inscription underneath. Each return has an external gable stack flanked by
four circular windows in square stone surrounds, 2 to each floor. Shaped
kneelers, stone copings. One large brick ridge stack. History: established
by Matthew Robinson, Vicar of Burneston and owner of Allerthorpe Hall. VCH
Vol I pp 357-361.


Listing NGR: SE3079984960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.