This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2639 / 52°15'49"N
Longitude: -0.7873 / 0°47'14"W
OS Eastings: 482861
OS Northings: 263547
OS Grid: SP828635
Mapcode National: GBR CXJ.5R8
Mapcode Global: VHDS1.9CNC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233357
Location: Ecton, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Ecton
Built-Up Area: Ecton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ecton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ECTON CHURCH WAY
SP8263 (South side)
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Church. C13, C14 and C19. Squared coursed lias and limestone ashlar with lead
roof. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower and north and south porches. South
elevation of chancel one-window range with 3-light window with C19 reticulated
tracery. Ashlar gable parapets and finials and shallow pitched roof. 4-light
east window has reticulated tracery. North elevation of chancel is similar to
the south with a blocked door opening below the window having a 4-centred
moulded stone head. South aisle is of 4-window range. The 3-window range to the
left has 2- and 3-light square head windows with carved label stops. Ashlar
gable parapets and lean-to roof. South porch to left of centre has
double-chamfered pointed arched openings with octagonal responds to outer arch.
Ashlar gable parapets and shallow pitch roof. Finial with sundial to left.
One-window range to far right of south aisle forms the south chapel and was
reconstructed mid C19. One 2-light window with south door in gable projection to
left and similar 3-light east window. Ashlar parapets and shallow gabled roof.
Three C18 tablets fixed to south aisle wall, one with cherubs heads and drapery.
North aisle is of 4-window range of 2- and 3-light square head windows with
carved label stops. Ashlar gable parapet and lean-to roof. North porch is
similar to south but with moulded and chamfered arch head openings. Statue niche
above outer arch. Ashlar parapets and shallow pitched roof. Nave clerestory of
3-window range of 2-light square head windows. Ashlar gable parapets and shallow
pitched roof. West tower of 4 stages with 3-stage shallow angle buttresses to
lower 2 stages. West door in Decorated opening with cusped lozenge above.
2-light Decorated ringing-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Fourth
stage is Perpendicular of limestone ashlar stepped back from lower stages. Pairs
of 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms to each face. Quatrefoil frieze
above with quatrefoil parapet and gargoyles and pinnacles at corners. Interior:
4-bay nave arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with polygonal piers and one
circular pier to north. The eastern bay to either side is separated from the
other bays by a masonry pier; these may indicate the position of former
transepts. Triple-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. Similar north
and south chapel arches and tower arch with two, 3 and 4 chamfers respectively.
Plastered ceilings to nave and south aisle with some exposed beams to south
aisle and 3 carved wooden bosses to nave wall. Other roofs are C19. Early C19
panelled pulpit and box pews. Late C17 communion rail. Plank doors to north and
south porches. Circular font on C19 base. Family trees of Palmer and Whally
families consisting of square marble tablets formed into pointed arch shapes.
Monuments: Samuel Freeman died 1707, chancel west wall, is a cartouche
surmounted by an urn and flanked by cherubs. John Palmer, erected 1732, by
Rysbrack, chancel north wall, is large marble tablet on brackets with bust above
and cartouche below. John Palmer died 1761, by Rysbrack, also signed by H.Cox,
is similar with obelisk behind. Catherine Whalley died 1817, by Rossi, south
wall of chancel, is 2 kneeling figures holding a circular medallion. Ann Isted
died 1763, north wall of south chapel, is an inscribed tablet with urn, pediment
and obelisk above and flanking cherub: various marbles and Rococo detailing.
Norris family, early C18, west wall of north aisle, is a stone tablet with
flaming heart and masons symbols at head. South chapel has many C18 and C19
tablets to Isted and Sotheby families of Ecton Hall. Stained glass: north
chancel window by Morris and Co. 1924. Early C20 chancel east window and 2
windows in south chapel.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p.206).
Listing NGR: SP8286163547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings