This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4825 / 52°28'57"N
Longitude: -0.8661 / 0°51'57"W
OS Eastings: 477103
OS Northings: 287782
OS Grid: SP771877
Mapcode National: GBR BSD.9W4
Mapcode Global: VHDQT.YV0R
Entry Name: Flats 1, 2, 3, Porch House, Bell Tower, Cloisters, South Wing, Pediment, Corner House and Tower House at Dingley Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 29 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 230898
Location: Dingley, Kettering, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Dingley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Dingley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
DINGLEY HARBOROUGH ROAD
SP78NE (North side)
3/40 Flats 1,2,3, Porch House, Bell
25/10/51 Tower, Cloisters, South Wing,
Pediment, Corner House and
Tower House at Dingley Hall
(Formerly listed as Dingley
Country house, now 10 dwellings. Originally Pre-Reformation preceptory of the
knights Hospitalers of St. John but mainly 1558-60 for Edward Griffin and 1670's
and 1680's for Sir Edmund Griffin; the latter work is probably by Hugh May or
Captain W. Winde. Limestone, lias and ironstone ashlar with Swithland slate
roof. Originally courtyard plan now irregular U-shape with projecting wings.
Late C17 main front of 8-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars in
original openings with moulded stone architraves. String course between floors.
Dentilled wood cornice and 5 roof dormers with wood pediments have C20 roof
windows between. Hipped roof with ashlar stacks, with moulded cornices, at ridge
and eaves. Late C17 projecting wing to left is similar of 3-window range with
rusticated quoins. Fine mid C16 porch relocated C19 on end of wing has pairs of
fluted Corinthian columns at ground floor flanking 4-centred arch head opening
with frieze above. C20 first floor casement in original opening has moulded
stone surround with pediment over and ball finials at base and apex. Square
panels with rosettes around window and flanking shafts terminating as bulbous
pinnacles. Central moulded flourish with volutes and shell. Return walls of
porch are similar. Mid C16 wing projects to right of main front and is the rear
of the gatehouse. 4-window range of 3-light stone mullion windows, 3 with
arch-head lights and one with transom. 2 to left are flanked by pilasters rising
from 4-bay ground floor open arcade, of arches with 4-centred heads. Range to
right of arcade has 2 C20 doors also with 4-centred arched heads and two 2-light
stone mullion windows with arch-head lights. Cornices between floors and ashlar
parapet with elongated half-decagons with concave sides and shell and armorial
decoration. C20 mansard extension to roof. Octagonal turret to far right has
similar parapet with rounded merlons. Late C17 garden front to right of main
front of 7-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars in original openings
with moulded stone surrounds. Centre 3 bays break forward with pediment over
with dentilled wood cornice. Central door opening has C20 casement with moulded
stone surround and segmental pediment over, window above has wide moulded stone
surround and bracketed cornice. String course between floors and rusticated
quoins at corners. Hipped roof with 3 roof dormers and ashlar stacks at ridge.
Mid C17 limestone ashlar gatehouse attached to left was originally main entrance
to courtyard. Double gates under 4-centred arch head with decorated spandrels
flanked by pilasters with corbels supporting diagonal pilasters to first floor.
6-light stone-mullion and transom window to first floor with pediment over.
Cornices between floors, and parapets with 3 bulbous finials. Flanking octagonal
turrets have parapets with semi-circular merlons. Mid C17 one- and 2-window
ranges to left and right of gatehouse are similar with plain parapet and
merlons. Inscription around gate arch is part Latin relating to King Philip of
Spain. Late C17 elevation to right of garden front of 2-window range with canted
projection. Elevation to left of main front has C20 casements. Rear elevation
restored C20 has mid C17 turret to right with 2- and 3-light stone mullion
windows with arch-head lights and a castellated parapet. Interiors: remodelled
late C20, some spiral stairs remain in turrets. House occupied by Griffin family
until late C18, then by Hungerforo family. Viscounts Downe, who probably
relocated the main porch, and then by Admiral, Earl Beatty.
Buildings of England, p.185. Country Life: Feb. 14, 1903, p.208 by J.A. Gotch;
April 16, 1921, p.462; April 23, 1921 p.494).
Listing NGR: SP7710387782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings