This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2496 / 52°14'58"N
Longitude: -0.8465 / 0°50'47"W
OS Eastings: 478846
OS Northings: 261896
OS Grid: SP788618
Mapcode National: GBR BW4.W8N
Mapcode Global: VHDS0.8QV9
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter
Listing Date: 9 December 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231878
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN3
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weston Favell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/13/159 WESTON FAVELL
09-DEC-68 CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
Church C11-C12, partly rebuilt after 1225. Restored 1851, 1869, 1881, 1925. N extension of 1969-71 by Marshman, Warren and Taylor.
The medieval fabric is of iron stone rubble, the C19 work is coursed Duston stone alternating with rubble, and the vestry is of coursed stone blocks. Slate roofs. Nave stripped internally, chancel is plastered and painted.
Nave with W tower, N aisle and N and S porches. Chancel with N chapel and N vestry and parish office complex. The chancel and tower at a slightly SSE angle to the nave.
A small church with a spireless tower, extensively restored in the C19 and extended in the C20. The chancel has a restored triple lancet in its E wall and stepped lancets in the S wall. The early C12 S chancel door is round-headed and has two plain unchamfered orders. The transverse N chancel chapel was added in 1881, but has in its E wall a lancet from the former N wall of the nave. The N parish rooms and vestry complex were built in 1972 to replace a C19 boiler house. The N aisle was built in 1881 on the site of the former medieval aisle, demolished in the C18, and has pointed lancet windows with hood moulds connected to form a string course. The N door was assembled in 1881 from C12 fragments and has one order of shafts with scalloped capitals. The N porch was built in 1892. The S wall of the nave has pairs of lancets of 1881, but the rest of the fabric is of indeterminate date and may be late or post medieval. The S porch was added in the post-medieval period, probably in the C17, and was restored in the C19. It has a straight-headed outer opening and a sundial in the gable. The S door has a depressed, four-centred arch, probably C17, and the door itself is also C17. The 3-stage W tower has large, added buttresses to N and S. There is a blocked round-headed doorway in the W face, probably of the C11 and possibly pre-Conquest. There is a double lancet above the door, and the belfy has paired lights of the early C13 under a continuous hood mould. The parapet has a corbel table, and a pyramidal roof replaces a spire that fell in 1725. The extension is in a contrastingly austere style, but executed also in ironstone.
In its present form the interior is largely a product of C19 restorations and alterations. The three bay N arcade was built in 1881 and has round shafts with moulded capitals in a C13 style. The high, wide, round-headed chancel arch of two chamfered orders on moulded capitals was rebuilt in 1869. The E window has C13 jamb shafts. The N vestry and parish rooms complex open from the chancel through two C19 arches. Tower arch of three chamfered orders with a hood mould on jambs of two orders; the tower arch retains traces of decorative painting. To the N of the tower arch is a straight-headed opening with a timber lintel. The scar of an earlier nave roof is visible on the E face of the tower, above the tower arch. The roofs are C19.
C13 straight headed aumbry in the chancel E wall and C13 trefoiled piscina in the chancel S wall. C15 font with an octagonal panelled bowl. C17 oak pulpit on a modern base, retaining the original hour-glass stand. Royal arms of George III. In the vestry is a needlework panel of 1698 representing the Last Supper. Screen in the tower arch by A A J Marshman of 1971. Some C17 and C18 monuments, including brass floor plates to Elizabeth, wife of Francis Hervey (d. 1642), and Mary, wife of William Hervey (d. 1645) and some C18 wall tablets. The floor slab formerly marking the burial place of James Hervey d.1758 has been placed upright in the chancel. The S door is C17.
The earliest fabric is the probably C11 base of the tower, and the western part of the chancel is early C12, indicating that the nave was also its present length by the early C12. Fragments of round column shafts found when the N aisle was built in 1881 suggest that the medieval N aisle was built in the late C12 or early C13. The upper part of the tower was also built in the C13, and the spire that fell in the C18 was probably added in the C14. Fragments of C15 window tracery also found in 1881 suggest that the church was remodelled at that date. The N aisle was demolished and the N nave wall rebuilt after the fall of the spire in 1725, and the S nave was also rebuilt at some time in post-medieval period, perhaps in the C17, the date of the S door, or in the early C18. The pyramidal cap on the tower is also early C18, as the spire was never rebuilt. The church was refurnished in 1844, when galleries were removed, chancel was restored in 1851, and the nave was reroofed, the chancel arch rebuilt and the S porch restored in 1869. Further C19 work included the N aisle of 1881 to designs of Matthew Henry Holding and the N porch of 1892. The church was again restored in 1925, and the N vestry was added in 1969-71 to designs by A A J Marshman of Marshman, Warren and Taylor. In the C17 and C18, the rectory was held almost exclusively by members of the Hervey, later the Hervey Knight, family. The most famous was James Hervey (d.1758), whose devotional work Meditations Amongst the Tombs (1747) was widely read in the C18 and C19.
Hakes, J. A Brief History of the Village of Weston Favell, Northampton, and the Church of St Peter (1981)
Lewis, S., Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), 524-7
Pevsner, N., Buildings of England, Northamptonshire (1973), 348
RHME Northamptonshire V (1985), 416-9
VCH Northamptonshire IV (1937), 107-11
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The church of St Peter, Weston Favell, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Parish church, probably C11 in origin, including late C11 tower base and C12 S chancel door.
* Extensively remodelled in the C19, when the N aisle and N porch were built, replacing a medieval aisle destroyed by the fall of the tower in 1725.
* Fittings of note include the C15 font and the chancel arch.
* Jacobean pulpit on a modern stem.
* Historical association with James Hervey, d.1758.
Other nearby listed buildings