History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pilton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4493 / 52°26'57"N

Longitude: -0.4935 / 0°29'36"W

OS Eastings: 502477

OS Northings: 284546

OS Grid: TL024845

Mapcode National: GBR FY8.G19

Mapcode Global: VHFNP.DPFR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232825

Location: Pilton, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Pilton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Pilton All Saints and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wadenhoe

Listing Text

PILTON
TL0284
16/102 Church of St. Mary and All
25/05/67 Saints
GV II*

Church. Late C12, late C13, chancel 1864, church restored 1875. Squared coursed
limestone with ashlar chancel and spire. Slate and lead roofs. Aisled nave,
chancel, south porch, north vestry and west tower. South elevation of chancel of
3-window range of 2-light windows with buttresses between. Steep gabled roof
with gable parapets, kneelers and finial. 4-light east window with shafts,
cusped circles and carved label stops. North elevation of chancel is similar to
south. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 2-light windows with quatrefoil
circles, that to right is late G13, that to left is restored C19. Lean-to roof
with plain ashlar parapet and 2 small gargoyles. Similar 3-light east window
with trefoil circles. C13 gabled porch in centre bay has single-chamfered outer
doorway with nail-head decoration and 2 small shields, with Tresham arms, to
either side. Inner doorway is late C12 with single order of shafts with
waterleaf capitals and zig-zag decoration to arch. North aisle of 3 bays; one
3-light window to left has 4-centred arch head and carved label stops. Lean-to
roof with plain ashlar parapets. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery.
C19 lean-to vestry in centre bay has 2-light square-head window. Decorated nave
clerestory is a 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows with cusped
lozenges in the tracery. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and 2
small gargoyles. Plain octagonal flue to north-east corner. Late C13 west tower
of 3 stages with plinth and 2-stage clasping buttresses. West doorway with 2
orders of filleted shafts and arch mouldings. Lancet window above. Small lancet
window to north, south and west faces of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber
openings to each face of upper stage have Y-tracery and cluster shafts. Corbel
table and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of
C15 double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers, and polygonal responds. One
capital to south has nailhead decoration; capitals to north, restored C19.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and double-chamfered
tower arch with plain responds and flanking single-stage buttresses. C19 nave
and chancel roofs with arched-braced trusses and carved stone corbels. Aisle
roofs may contain some earlier timbers. C19 reredos to altar has cusped circle,
and lancet decoration. Piscina with cusped head in south aisle. Octagonal font
with octagonal shaft having decorated band at base. C19 floor tiles. Choir
stalls given by Lord Lilford late C19 have poppy heads representing birds and
animals and symbolising Lord Lilfords ornithological interest. C19 stained glass
east windows of chancel and south aisle, and south windows of chancel; north
oval windows of chancel are painted. Monuments: John Hewitt, died 1799, and
tablet in north aisle Ann Jenour, died 1839, marble tablet alongside by Swan of
Oundle. Various C19 brass tablets relating to the Powys family of Lilford Hall
(q.v.). Thomas Littleton Selby died 1878, brass plaque in north aisle indicates
that he was agent for Lord Lilford and Architect for the restoration of the
Church 1874.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.372; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
p.132).


Listing NGR: TL0247784546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.