History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Christ

A Grade II Listed Building in Smeeton Westerby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5281 / 52°31'41"N

Longitude: -1.0026 / 1°0'9"W

OS Eastings: 467758

OS Northings: 292715

OS Grid: SP677927

Mapcode National: GBR 9Q9.KBF

Mapcode Global: VHDQK.KQTB

Entry Name: Church of Christ

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 9 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294192

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191391

Location: Smeeton Westerby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Smeeton Westerby

Built-Up Area: Smeeton Westerby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Smeeton Westerby Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Foxton

Listing Text

SP 69 SE SMEETON WESTERBY SMEETON WESTERBY

1/64 Church of Christ
(formerly listed as
7.12.66 Christ Church)

- II

Parish church. 1848-9 by H Woodyer in the Decorated style. Repaired 1873 and
1895. Grey stone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with stepped, coped
gables. Nave with west bellcote, north aisle, south aisle, south porch, chancel,
vestry. West elevation has single 2-light pointed arch window with flowing
tracery set within a large heavily moulded pointed arch springing from two angle
buttresses with set-offs. Above, an arrowslet window, and above again an
octagonal bellcote, with crenellated cornice, and spire with topknot and weather-
cock. Single light bell openings on west, south-east and north-east faces, and
small buttresses on north and south faces. North aisle, west wall has large
lancet with hoodmould. North wall has a buttress with set-offs with to right a
2-light window with reticulated tracery in a square frame. To left a similar
3-light window. East wall has a 2-light pointed arch window with hoodmould.
South aisle, west wall has a large lancet with hoodmould. South wall has two
2-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds. South porch gabled with cross finial,
with diagonal buttresses and double chamfered pointed arch doorway. Stone benches
inside porch. Heavily moulded pointed arch south doorway with double plank
doors. South wall has chamfered plinth and buttress with set-offs, with a lancet
with hoodmould to left and a 2-light pointed arch window with flowing tracery and
hoodmould to right. Diagonal buttress with set-offs at south-east corner.
Chancel east wall has chamfered plinth and single 3-light pointed arch window with
reticulated tracery and hoodmould. East gable has cross finial. To right, vestry
east window is a wooden casement with plain arched stone frame. Chancel roof
continues down over vestry to north. Vestry has doorway with chamfered frame and
plank door. Then a lancet with hoodmould in north wall of chancel. Interior:
narrow entry to bellcote above west window. 4-bay nave arcades with quatrefoil
piers with capitals and bases and double-chamfered pointed arches. Chancel arch
is double-chamfered with hoodmould and responds with capitals. Pointed chamfered
doorway to vestry with trefoil head piscina to right. Marble reredos with
dentilled cornice and floral patterns in circles below east window. Sedile below
south-east window, with chamfered arch with sexfoil cusping and small shields.
Early C20 organ in west bay of north aisle. Octagonal bowl and stem font with
ornate Gothic wooden cover in south aisle. Altar, altar rails, choir stalls,
pulpit, lectern, rood screen, pews and wainscotting all C19. South aisle, east
wall has WWI marble memorial plaque with WWII brass memorial plaque below.
Stained glass, late C19 and early C20, in south aisle, the east window by Kempe &
Co 1902, and in chancel windows. Nave roof has 3 trusses with arch braces and
crown posts. Ceramic tile floors, with Minton tiled sanctuary.
VCH, V, 186.


Listing NGR: SP6775892715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.