This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9784 / 53°58'42"N
Longitude: -1.4037 / 1°24'13"W
OS Eastings: 439204
OS Northings: 453755
OS Grid: SE392537
Mapcode National: GBR LQMF.WM
Mapcode Global: WHD9T.D8SF
Entry Name: Chapel of St Andrew Ribston Hall
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330604
Location: Great Ribston with Walshford, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Great Ribston with Walshford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 35 SE GREAT RIBSTON RIBSTON PARK
5/30 Chapel of St. Andrew,
15.3.66 Ribston Hall
Chapel of St. Andrew, attached to south-east end of Ribston Hall. C13 with
restorations 1700 and C19. Early work probably by the Knights Templars,
later alteration and restoration by Sir Harry Goodricke and the Dent family.
Limestone and sandstone coursed rubble, sandstone quoins. Flat roof. Nave
and chancel in one range of 4 bays. Repositioned doorway, chamfered, with
hood-moulds and head-stops in 2-storey lean-to porch at east end of south
wall. A second similar (blocked) doorway towards west end of this wall.
Between the doors: a 2-light window with Reticulated tracery and square
hood-mould, flanked by gabled buttresses. East and west windows inserted
1820 and 1852, each of 3 lights. Battlemented parapet at east end, with
stair turret built into corner between the chapel and the Hall. Bulbous
finial on south-east corner. Parapet at west end pierced with quatrefoils
and bearing 2 finials. West wall also has 3 square recesses, one with a
much weathered coat of arms. Interior: entrance into the chapel from the
hall is at the west end of the north wall. Altar end and reredos have early
C18 panelling with scrolls and foliage in high relief. Memorials include
one on south wall to Sir Harry Goodricke who 'restored and embellished' the
chapel in 1700. Another (1652) to Richard Goodricke. Font with stem and
wide spiral-fluted bowl of c1700. The west window has painted glass which
is probably a copy of the New College window by Reynolds. The west window
is signed by Willement 1852. H. Speight refers to a commission signed to
dedicate and consecrate a new chapel at Ribston in 1444.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, 1959, p400.
H. Spei'ght, Nidderdale, 1894, p190.
Country Life, October 11th, 1973, pp 1050-3 and
October 18th, 1973, pp l142-5.
Listing NGR: SE3920453755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings