This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1304 / 54°7'49"N
Longitude: -1.2524 / 1°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 448947
OS Northings: 470767
OS Grid: SE489707
Mapcode National: GBR MNPP.N3
Mapcode Global: WHD93.QFSW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333396
Location: Raskelf, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Raskelf
Built-Up Area: Raskelf
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Easingwold with Raskelf
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 47 SE RASKELF MAIN STREET
2/51 (south end)
Church of St Mary
Church. C12 with C14 and C15 alterations and additions and substantial Cl9 restoration
and addition of south aisle in 1879.
Sandstone. Weatherboarded west tower with shingled top and tiled pyramidal roof,
restored most recently in 1954. Stone slate roof to church with stone coping and
ridge. 2-bay chancel with north chapel. 2-bay nave with north aisle and Cl9 south
aisle. West tower.
Reticulated east window, partly rebuilt. Timber arcade between chancel and north
chapel probably C15. Chamfered oak posts with arch braces, central post has 'capital'
with badge of Neville family. C12 lancet in chapel north wall. Nave north arcade
c.1100-70 has unmoulded pointed arches, semi-circular responds and cylindrical pier
with square abacus and volute capital. Reticulated west window (now backing onto
tower). Nave windows otherwise C19 in C15 style except for probably C14 2-light north
aisle west window.
Weatherboarded west tower on modern rusticated stone plinth. Unique in North Riding.
Perpendicular bench ends with poppy heads to west of nave, C17 balustraded screen to
North Chapel and C17 communion rail.
Pevsenr, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966, p287.
Listing NGR: SE4894770767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings