History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Easingwold, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1236 / 54°7'24"N

Longitude: -1.1973 / 1°11'50"W

OS Eastings: 452558

OS Northings: 470043

OS Grid: SE525700

Mapcode National: GBR NN2R.LK

Mapcode Global: WHD94.LM25

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist and All Saints

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333432

Location: Easingwold, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Easingwold

Built-Up Area: Easingwold

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easingwold with Raskelf

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Easingwold

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/10/2011


SE 57 SW
1/104
17.5.60


EASINGWOLD
CHURCH HILL
(north side)
Church of St John the Baptist and All Saints


(Formerly listed under Church of St John, Church Lane)


(Formerly listed as Church of St John the Baptist)

II*


Church. Mainly C15 in present form. Re-set door of c1200 north side of nave and
possible remains of earlier fabric. Restored C19. Ashlar. Welsh slate chancel
roof, otherwise lead. Ashlar coping. West tower, 5 bay nave with later south
porch, 3 bay chancel. Three-stage embattled tower which originally had a high open
west porch of which the chamfered pointed arch remains, now blocked with a later
door and window inserted. Nave and chancel: straight-headed 2-light windows with
simple panel tracery mainly restored. Hood moulds with head stops, mainly modern
replacements. Angle buttresses with concave set-offs. Two-centred 3-light east
window with renewed decorated tracery (C17 V.C.H.) under hood mould with stops.
North side nave re-set 2-centred door with roll moulded and colonettes with moulded
capitals and waterholding bases, very much weathered. Interior: nave arcade of
double-chamfered arches which die into octagonal piers. Similarly the double-
chamfered chancel arch dies into the imposts. Monument to Thomas Rayns d.1713 has
Ionic pilasters and broken pediment with hatchment.


Listing NGR: SE5255870043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.