This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1312 / 52°7'52"N
Longitude: -1.0557 / 1°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 464737
OS Northings: 248522
OS Grid: SP647485
Mapcode National: GBR 9W2.9YD
Mapcode Global: VHCW0.NP8K
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235073
Location: Bradden, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Bradden
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Bradden St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BRADDEN MAIN STREET
SP6448 (North side)
12/54 Church of St. Michael
Church. C13, C14 and C15, rebuilt 1858 by William White. Coursed squared
ironstone with some limestone banding, slate roofs to chancel and porch, copper
to nave and aisles. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west
tower. 2-bay chancel has 2-light east window with plate tracery, smaller 2-light
window to south-east, one-light window to south-west, both with plate tracery
and small lancet window to north. Hollow-chamfered priest's door to south.
Vestry to north with similar west door and small cinquefoil-headed east window.
Chancel has quoins and high stepped chamfered plinth continuing over doors and
stone-coped gable with kneelers. Nave has 2-bay clerestory with straight-headed
one-light windows with cut spandrels and cinquefoiled lights. North aisle has
2-light east window with Decorated style tracery, a 3-light window to north-east
and one-light windows to north-west and west, all with cinquefoil-headed lights.
North doorway with raised hollow chamfer and ridged plank door. South aisle has
similar windows to those of north aisle except for 2-light Decorated style
window to south-west. South doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs, imposts and
6-panel double-leaf doors. South porch has hollow-chamfered doorway, quatrefoil
windows east and west, chamfered plinth and stone-coped gable. Clerestory and
aisles have overhanging moulded timber eaves with rafters continued as brackets.
Moulded sill band to south aisle. 3-stage west tower has C19 Caernarvon-arched
west door with one-light cinquefoil-headed window above with deep
hollow-chamfered splays, one-light window to south of middle stage with stone
louvres and cast-iron clock face above. 2-light bell-openings and battlemented
parapet. Windows all have hood moulds except those to clerestory and porch.
Interior: chancel has arch-braced collar truss roof. Double-chamfered chancel
arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 4-bay arcades with polygonal responds,
octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches,
except for west bay of north aisle. The stonework of this bay is limestone and
has double-chamfered arch, outer chamfer on polygonal responds and capitals,
with solid masonry pier betweeen this bay and next bay east. Pointed
trefoil-headed piscina in south aisle. Nave has Perpendicular style roof.
Seating incorporates cut-down box pews. C19 stained glass to east and north
chancel windows. Coloured glass and patterned leading to heads of most windows.
Royal arms painted on tin plate over west door. Charity board over door to
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.118).
Listing NGR: SP6473748522
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings