This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2208 / 51°13'14"N
Longitude: -0.5707 / 0°34'14"W
OS Eastings: 499916
OS Northings: 147814
OS Grid: SU999478
Mapcode National: GBR FCR.DJH
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.2L50
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288420
Location: Shalford, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: Shalford
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shalford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 NE SHALFORD CP THE STREET
3/157 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1846 rebuild of 1790 church. By Benjamin Ferrey Rough coursed
sandstone with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. Cruciform plan
with lower chancel to east, porch to south, and tower to north west with
vestry attached to north. Very tall proportions. Three stage tower with
copper broach spire on corbelled eaves. Offset quoined buttress to lower
stages, blind lancet arcade to first stage above with round moulded
capitals to jamb shafts. Two bays of the arcade are open with louvred
coverings. Three bay arcade below on tower with central 2-light lancet
window. Stair turret to south east corner in angle with main church,
vestry to north side. Lancet clerestorey windows over pentice roofed
aisles. Remaining fenestration, lancet and roundels in early English
style. Buttressed aisles with corbelled eaves and buttressed east end
with hood mouldings to windows. Gabled porch to south with trefoil
opening in gable apex. Moulded and chamfered entrance arch with one
order of jamb shafts. Panelled outer doors, C20 inner doors. Further
doors to west end in moulded two-order surround under hood moulding with
human head stops and strapwork hinges to doors.
Interior: braced, hammer beam type nave roof with four bay round pier
nave arcades below. Octagonal piers to east of entrance to aisle chapels.
Chamfered arches and hood mouldings over. Wooden gallery to west end on
thin, painted iron columns. King-post chancel roof, panelled chancel
under billeted band.
Fittings: ogee arch piscina on south wall of chancel. Panelled pulpit
on centre stem, ribbed with linenfold pattern to panels. Octagonal stone
font on panelled stem with deep carving in panels of bowl.
Monument: tablet recording donations to church construction and detailing
architects and patrons dated 1847 (on west wall of north aisle).
North aisle wall: monument to George Duncombe 1694/5. Marble cartouche
with crowning coat of arms and winged cherubs with draperies.
Memorial to George Sturt. Died 1769. Rectangular, white stone apron
with bead and paterae decoration. Grey stone obelisk above with urn and
coat of arms.
North Wall of chancel: to Robert Austen. Died 1798. Neo-classical style
by Bacon. White stone with fluted pilaster strips flanking guttae below.
Grey stone obelisk with shallow relief garlanded urn and winged cherub heads.
South chancel wall. Monument to Robert Austen. 1759 by James Moorhouse
of Greenwich. Grey veined marble obelisk with broken pediment over and
rectangular inscribed panel on volute srolls. Apron below with winged
Chancel stained glass windows by Newton Butler Brown. East window by
W.R. Eginton and Samuel Brown. West window of south aisle by Ward and
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1981) page 452.
Listing NGR: SU9991647814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings