This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.204 / 51°12'14"N
Longitude: -0.7175 / 0°43'3"W
OS Eastings: 489692
OS Northings: 145757
OS Grid: SU896457
Mapcode National: GBR DBD.KDD
Mapcode Global: VHDY3.JZ1X
Entry Name: Heathersett littleworth Cross
Listing Date: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288174
Location: Seale and Sands, Guildford, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Seale and Sands
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Seale, Puttenham and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 84NE SEALE AND SANDS C.P. SEALE ROAD
7/114 Littleworth Cross and
House, now divided. Dated 1873 on main entrance, extended in C20. Rubble stone
with brick dressings and quoins to ground floor, decorative half-timbering in black
and white to right and left ends on first floor. Plain tiled roofs of varying
heights, some hipped, all with ridge cresting and end finials. Complicated
compact plan, roughly T shaped with entrance court to front. Two storeys
with tall, ribbed, stacks, all with oversailing tops; some on gable ends, the
majority on roof ridges.
Entrance Front : Divided in two, right half: parrallel gable ranges to right, range at
right angles to left enclosing square tower with pyramidal roof under compass finial.
Diamond pane, leaded, casement fenestration, irregular, but including one large
mullioned and transomed staircase window to left of centre. Gabled, wood framed,
half-glazed entrance porch to right placed diagonally across the corner of the
building. Recessed, whitewashed lobby behind. Main door in rear wall, arched,
whitewashed brick surround, strap - work hinges with incised decoration. Left
half; large tile hung gable to right over brick dentil band, half timbered range
to left jetted on first floor over moulded bressumer. 3 diamond-pane casements
on both floors to left, wood framed, mullioned and transome window on first floor
gable. Six panelled door to ground floor of gable under flat porch hood. C20
brick single storey extension projecting to front right.
Interior : Square staircase hall, part panelled. Great hall to rear, originally
2 framed bays with Crown-post roof, only one bay remaining. Large billeted,
cambered, tie beam exposed framing and panelling below. Large stone fireplace
dated 1886. Y tracery glazed doors.
The house has been attributed to R. Norman Shaw on stylistic grounds but there
is no conclusive evidence to prove the attribution.
PEVSNER : Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) page 449.
Listing NGR: SU8969245757
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings