History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Russell Hill Schools (Thomas More School for Boys), Main Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Purley, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3435 / 51°20'36"N

Longitude: -0.1192 / 0°7'8"W

OS Eastings: 531095

OS Northings: 162164

OS Grid: TQ310621

Mapcode National: GBR G4.4MJ

Mapcode Global: VHGRR.WHCG

Entry Name: Russell Hill Schools (Thomas More School for Boys), Main Building

Listing Date: 15 February 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201236

Location: Croydon, London, CR8

County: London

District: Croydon

Electoral Ward/Division: Purley

Built-Up Area: Croydon

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Purley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text

1.
5009 RUSSELL HILL

Russell Hill Schools
(Thomas More School for
Boys), Main Building
TQ 36 SW 5/24

II


2.
1863, by John George Bland. Built as Royal Warehousemen's, Clerks's and Drapers's
School. Large building in Venetian Gothic. Red brick with dressings of blue brick
and Bath stone. Long asymmetrical front with an entrance block linked to wings of
unequal length. Entrance block 3 storeys high and 3 bays wide, with projecting central
bay rising to a gable in steeply pitched roof. Central doorway with triple moulded
pointed arch flanked by triplets of windows with stilted arches and attached columns
with floriated caps. First floor windows of similar pattern set under pointed relieving
arches with a pierced roundel in tympana of arches on either side of central bay.
Central window has stone balcony supported on brackets with decorate iron balustrade.
Brick on edge ornament between ground and first and first and second floors. Windows
of second floor have stilted square heads with pierced panel above. Wide eaves with
ornamental soffit. Tall hipped slate roof with small square tower and pyramidal
spirelet. The central block is linked by lower 2 storeyed blocks to 3 storey wings,
with similar treatment. Variegated slate roofs with ornamental overhang. The left
hand wing is 4 bays wide with one projecting off-centre bay, the right hand wing has
8 bays with 2 projecting bays. The return elevations continue the window pattern for
one bay.


Listing NGR: TQ3109562164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.