History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wighill Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wighill, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.9173 / 53°55'2"N

Longitude: -1.2784 / 1°16'42"W

OS Eastings: 447492

OS Northings: 447033

OS Grid: SE474470

Mapcode National: GBR MRJ4.0H

Mapcode Global: WHDB2.BSHT

Entry Name: Wighill Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 8 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331756

Location: Wighill, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Wighill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rural Ainsty

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side, off)

8/54 Wighill Manor Farmhouse,
(previously listed as
2.9.52 Watson's Manor Farmhouse)


House. c1791 with remains of c1580. Coursed squared limestone, graduated
stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central 6-panel door, with top two
panels glazed, in a reused late C16 classical surround. The doorway has
Tudor arch with architrave and cornice; flanking fluted Corinthian columns
with strapwork decoration to bases (partially buried) support an entablature
with dosserets and cornice. Above the door is a plaque with armorial
bearings; 2 shields in cartouches are placed on the cornice. The remainder
of the facade is C18 and later: 4-pane sash windows throughout, with
splayed vousoirs to flat arches; the ground-floor windows longer than those
to first floor. End stacks rendered. A 1926 copy of a painting of Wighill
Hall in 1791 is in the posession of the present owners; a note on the back
reveals that the present farm stands on the exact site of the 1580 hall
built by Sir Robert Stapilton and pulled down in c1791. A new hall was
built on higher ground and in 1811 Granville Anson Chetwynd Stapylton sold
the estate to Richard Fountain Wilson.

Listing NGR: SE4749247033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.