This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1873 / 51°11'14"N
Longitude: -0.609 / 0°36'32"W
OS Eastings: 497311
OS Northings: 144042
OS Grid: SU973440
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.GVX
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.DFF4
Entry Name: Former Congregational Church and Attached Sunday School, Now Messenger, May Baverstock Premises
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291293
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
GODALMING BRIDGE STREET
SU 9744 SW
(north west side)
Church and attached Sunday
School, now Messenger, May
Congregational Church and attached Sunday School and Mission Room; now furniture
store and saleroom. Church dated 1868; Sunday School and Mission Room dated
1883, by Messrs Welman and Street (Kellys, p.l193); C20 alterations. Bargate
stone with ashlar dressings; banded fishscale slate roofs. In Gothic style with
offset buttresses; chamfered plinth; string at sill level and Decorated-style
windows to church which has main elevation to Bridge Street comprising tall
gable with matching gabled porches at either side and tower on right. Each
porch has 2 steps up to pointed-arched board door in chamfered surround with
hoodmould and crested ridge tiles. Central to gable is large 4-light window
with hoodmould flanked by tall buttresses and quatrefoils, with quatrefoil
oculus under hoodmould above it and date plaque below it; gable has ashlar
coping with gablets, iron finial on gableted base, and crested ridge tiles.
2-stage tower on right has: tall angle buttresses with gablets; lancets to lower
stage; quatrefoil band below offset upper stage which has tall lancets with
tracery; offset broached top, formerly the base of a spire (removed). Left
return, along The Burys: 5 bays with trefoil-headed windows and dentilled eaves
band. Right return similar, having gabled projection on right with oculus.
Sunday School and Mission Room added to north west, facing on The Burys and
linked by 2-storey, 3-bay block, having recessed centre, pointed-arched doorway
to left, single-light triangular-headed windows to ground floor, and 4
transomed, flat-headed windows of 2 arched lights above; dentilled string
below parapet. To left, tall 2-storey Mission Room, with polygonal rear
section, presents 2 bays to The Burys, having, on ground floor, pent-roofed
portico which has taller central doorway with hoodmould and gable with blind,
cusped, oculus above, and flanking lower doorways; on first floor bays framed by
ashlar pilasters and dentilled eaves band, with paired lancets; knob finial to
roof. On left, in line with portico, is 2-storey bay with 3 stepped lancets
(lighting stair), eaves band, kneelers and coping, and to its left return two
2-light windows to each floor and cusped oculus to gable. The polygonal rear
section of the Mission Room has bays defined by full-height buttresses and each
has a 3-light window to each floor (with stepped lancet lights to ground floor,
cusped lights above); cyma-mouled eaves band. Interior: church has balustraded
gallery, arch-braced roof trusses, and panelled ceiling with diagonal braces.
Mission Room has gallery with decorative balustrade.
Kellys Directory, 1887.
Listing NGR: SU9731144042
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings