This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.815 / 52°48'54"N
Longitude: -0.7304 / 0°43'49"W
OS Eastings: 485663
OS Northings: 324918
OS Grid: SK856249
Mapcode National: GBR CPV.G52
Mapcode Global: WHFJW.RHCS
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190300
Location: Sproxton, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Sproxton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Sproxton St Bartholomew (High Framland Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 8524 SPROXTON SALTBY ROAD
28/72 Church of St
Parish church. C13 west tower, the rest mostly late C14. The following of
1882-83 by H. Woodyer: belfry, south porch, south aisle, south chancel
including transept and chapel and the chancel arch. Ironstone with
limestone dressings. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower. Lancet west window and a
lancet to south. South lancet to ringing chamber. Limestone belfry stage
with 2-light windows, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light
south aisle Perpendicular windows under 4-centered arches. Gabled south
porch. North nave wall with a blocked doorway, just pointed, and a 2-light
cusped window under a swore head. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each
side. No openings to north chancel wall. Plain triple lancet east window.
Gabled south transept with one high south window. East of this a sloping
chapel with doorway and a 2-light window to south; also an east window. 2-
light chancel window east of this. Interior. 3-bay south arcade of
octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals. Double
chamfered arches. Wide tower arch on circular responds with polygonal
capitals below double chamfered arch. 7-bay nave roof of crenellated
moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels.
Corbels are stone grotesques and animals. On ties are King post spurs to
moulded ridge piece and struts to moulded purlins. Only corbels, King
spurs and struts are pre-1882. Late C14 font with shafts to stem and
encircled quatrefoils to bowl panels. Chancel arch re-uses a pair of
crocket capitals. C19 chancel roof as nave but with traceried spandrels to
the arched braces. Head corbels are C19.
Listing NGR: SK8566324918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings