History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Kirk Deighton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.9493 / 53°56'57"N

Longitude: -1.3938 / 1°23'37"W

OS Eastings: 439882

OS Northings: 450525

OS Grid: SE398505

Mapcode National: GBR LQQS.11

Mapcode Global: WHD9T.KZHS

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294634

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331716

Location: Kirk Deighton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Kirk Deighton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


(east side)

2/15 Church of All Saints



Church. Early-mid C15 with C12 remains and restorations in 1849 and 1875,
by W Perkin and Son for Rev J W Geldart. Coursed squared limestone, lead
and graduated stone slate roof. Plinth. West tower of 3 stages with spire,
3-bay nave with north and south aisles and central south porch, 3-bay
chancel with centre door. Tower: full-height, offset, diagonal buttresses,
string courses dividing the stages; the south face has staircase projection
and a narrow chamfered window to the second stage;and the belfry stage has
large paired, pointed mullion-and-transom windows with Decorated tracery and
hoodmoulds on each side. Battlemented parapet, gargoyles, plain pinnacles,
octagonal spire with weather-vane. The west side of the tower has a deeply
chamfered doorway with hoodmould and head stops, a 3-light Perpendicular
window above with animal stops to the hoodmould; the upper levels
fenestrated as south. South porch: door decorated with applied Y-tracery;
the shallow pointed arch is hollow-moulded and the hoodmould has weathered
head stops; stepped gable. Board door to chancel in Tudor arch with stepped
hoodmould. Fenestration: nave and chancel - 2-light flat headed
Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds; paired trefoil-headed lights to
clerestory. Moulded strings and battlemented parapets throughout. North
aisle: a board door bay 3 in a deeply-chamfered arch with banded imposts;
Perpendicular windows of 3, 2 and 1 light; moulded string and parapet with
roll-moulded coping. East end: C19 3-light window in Decorated style. An
inscription at the base of the tower south side: 'To the Glory of God in
memory of / James William Geldard LLD / Rector of Kirk Deighton 1840-1876 /
Chief Restorer of the Church of All Saints 1849 and 1874 / The new clock in
the tower was erected by the parishioners / And the Cambridge Quarterchimes
added by his two sons / James William and Henry Charles / The Memory of the
Just is Blessed / Proverbs'. Interior: the north arcade is of 3 bays with
quatrefoil piers and single-stepped arches. The south arcade has octagonal
piers and double-chamfered arches. The tower and chancel arches are also
double-chamfered, the latter having C19 springers and hoodmould. The
baptistry below the tower has traces of painted plaster above the south
stair door and remains of C12 and C13 carved stones; the ceiling has a
groined vault with roll and fillet mouldings; the font is 1874. South
aisle: remains of a piscina at the east end of the south wall, and a stone
with remains of an Anglo-Saxon interlaced design above the eastern arch of
the arcade. The nave roof is framed, with moulded ridge and cross beams
carrying the remains of bosses. Chancel: a fine marble monument to Richard
Burton, d1656 on the north wall; an oval frame containing a frontal kneeling
figure. History. The patronage of the living was held by the Roos family
of Ingmanthorpe until the C16. Richard Burton was a Royalist during the
Civil War and rector 1648-56. The Rev Richard Thompson was rector 1747-95
and gave the chalice, paten and flagon. Colonel Thornton (? of Allerton
Park) was then patron of the living and sold it in 1794; it then came to the
Rev James Geldart who was succeeded by his son and grandson, one of whom was
responsible for the extensive restorations in 1849 and 1874. Anon, Parish
Church of All Saints, Kirk Deighton, guide sheet nd. N Pevsner, Buildings
of England, W R Yorkshire, (1959), p 289.

Listing NGR: SE3988250527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.